Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 5k Training  (Read 15988 times)
djming
Day Tripper

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2008, 07:22:01 PM »

Sorry that I missed this thread till now. 
Speaking strictly from personal experience here - in the 2 weeks leading up to a key race, I like to do 2 key workouts (assuming distance of 5 miles or under):
1) repeats on the track of 200, 400 (with a 100m SLOW jog between) at anticipated race pace minus 40-50 seconds (example, if you're targeting 6 min pace for a 5K, do the 200's in 37.5 seconds = 5 min pace and the 400's in around 80 seconds = 5:20 pace).  Do 3 sets of these, walk around for 2 minutes, then do a very hard 800, targeting race pace minus 30 seconds.  Some people will find they can go a bit faster on the 200's.  Do this no later than 5 days before the race.
2) About 10 days before the race, a longer/steadier run (depending on overall mileage, maybe 7-10 miles at 1-1:30 over 5K race pace).  This pace should feel like you're working hard, but still able to (barely) hold a steady conversation.  For those using a HR monitor, around 80% (so under anaerobic threshold pace but solidly above normal training pace)

I actually did a series of these workouts throughout the summer into September, eventually getting my 400 times down to close to 70 and my 800 at 2:30 flat.  Also, a 10 mile "steady run" at 6:45 pace, with hills.
Unded up setting "over 40" PRs at 5K (16:56; actually 19:24 for a 3.55 mile race) and 5 miles (28:23).  Works out to 5:27 and 5:40/mile respectively so the numbers worked!
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »

damn, djming...those are some respectable times...*understatement*

I PR'ed on my home course last wednesday, with the air at about 39 degrees and a steady freezing rain falling. 7:31 for about 2.9 miles...works out to just above 6 minute pace...I ran 6:30s over a 6 mile hilly course last sunday.

My training has been increasing mileage (most runs in the 5 mile range now, around 25 per week), with about 3-4 miles easy the day before the race...I'm running in the state championships the weekend after next and im hoping to break 6 minute miles for a full 5k. I ran my first timed miled yesterday, the day after the 6 miles of hills, and did a 5:03.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
djming
Day Tripper

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2008, 08:49:23 PM »

My training has been increasing mileage (most runs in the 5 mile range now, around 25 per week)

That's the key!  No matter what distance, base miles will allow you to train faster and therefore race faster.
If you can run a 5:03 mile and hold 6:30 pace for 6 in a training run,  you should have no problem breaking 6's for 5K (of course XC course conditions this time of year can throw those objectives out).
I wouldn't start this now, but once XC season is over and you're ready to resume a solid base training program, try upping your current long run of the week to the 9-12 mile range, but at an easier pace.  (Very) general rule of thumb - divide your weekly mileage by 3 and you should be able to start there for a long run.  Get your mileage to the mid 30's to low 40's, add in some speed workouts and watch your times drop!
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 03:00:37 PM »

Unded up setting "over 40" PRs at 5K (16:56; actually 19:24 for a 3.55 mile race) and 5 miles (28:23).  Works out to 5:27 and 5:40/mile respectively so the numbers worked!

damn, djming...those are some respectable times...*understatement*

To put it in perspective, only one person got under 17:00 in the race I was in, and there were over 350 runners.
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 03:53:08 PM »

I just wanted to put a note up about a fitness training "gain".  I feel like I have really broken through a barrier. Last fall, I struggled to run 3 miles. I usually ran 2 to 3 miles, ran in two 5k races but that was the max I did. I never felt like I could have kept going long after about 5k. I probably would have keeled over by 4 miles.

Well, now that there is good running to be had outside, I am finding that I am running longer distances with relative ease. My last few runs have been 3.6, 5.3, and 6 miles. I am really surprised, because I didn't do that much running in the winter. I lot of exercising, but not much running.

Ok just had to say something because I am stoked right now.
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »

;DNice man. way to get that endurance up.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 06:21:16 PM »

Nice Cor !

You are inspiring me to get out there and give this "Yogging" thing a try.... its a new thing that everyone is doing lately but the "J" is silent I think...

In all honesty I might get out there for a jog soon, 4 mile jog that is  Grin

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 09:15:15 AM »

I think you'll find it's actually a soft J, Tony.

I've been struggling to get my mileage up this winter. I have run all winter, and interspersed it with lifting, but I'm still struggling to get my weekly total above 15 miles.

It's good to hear you're getting you're mileage up to those levels, though. Once you start training at higher levels racing at the shorter distances will become much easier and faster.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 09:20:48 AM »

I think you'll find it's actually a soft J, Tony.

Ok now your splitting hairs..

You and me are problly the only ones here that even know what I'm referencing

Anyone ?  You'll get a sticker if you guess it correctly  Grin

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 09:35:35 AM »

I get the reference.  I love anchorman, and quote it all the time. 
Thats great cosmic, Its neat when it seems like your not making any progress, and the suddenly, you make a huge leap.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »

I always thought running would just be a major pain in the ***, but kept at it for its rewards. But lately I have been enjoying it.
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2009, 10:27:55 AM »

I always thought running would just be a major pain in the ***, but kept at it for its rewards. But lately I have been enjoying it.

I love the feeling when you've been running enough that it's actually enjoyable to go out for a run. I've been on the cusp of that lately.

My Blog - Frigid Light

cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »

It's funny, my husky is so out of shape that she was holding me back a little. By the end of the run she was at the end of the 20' leash behind me.

She's definitely off the sled team this year
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2009, 12:17:06 PM »

I get the reference.  I love anchorman, and quote it all the time. 

Here's your sticker

cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »

I ran my first 5k of the season this morning. I knew my running has improved but it was nice to put it to the test. I came in 23:34, which put me 31st out of 104, and 11th out of 22 in the 30-39 mens age group. Last fall, I ran about 28:30, so I blew my previous time out of the water. Plus, my goal this morning was to maintain a 8:30/mile pace or better, and I came in at 7:39/mile.

Still didn't beat my sister though... Cry (she came in 1st in her age group)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: