Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 5k Training  (Read 15987 times)
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2009, 08:15:35 AM »

Yeah I was surprised that the start time was so late.  Good job at keep up pretty much the same pace as last time in this heat.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2009, 10:20:15 AM »

upper 80's + sun= -15 secs. Thats amazing.  Good to hear you still making good progress.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2009, 07:34:14 PM »

Nice work and dedication. With all the new runners on this site it almost makes me want to give it a try. The only time I seem to run for any distance is after I have been drinking and coming home from the bar. For some reasion my body really seems to hut the next day......  Tongue
Keep the updates and improvements posted. It may motivate me one of these days.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2009, 08:11:23 PM »

I have been inspired, and I actually enjoy it now.

Only problem is that my legs still hurt bone wise, I'm going to pick up a pair of new shoes this weekend for running to see if that helps.

I've been running in my Garmont trail shoes, which might not be good for road running.

I was considering a 5k the other day, I think there's one in May at Walnut Hill Park in New Britain, might be called Race for the Cure.
Anyone interested in joining me?
Cosmic?
Rage?

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2009, 08:55:48 PM »

The 5k races are so much fun. After you do one you will be hooked. Last sunday there were about 500 runners and lots of spectators. Its cool to be running down the middle of the road in a big pack of runners. There is also the competition aspect of beating the guy next to you. And when you finish there are lots of people cheering you on.

This website pretty much has the schedule of all the races in CT
http://www.hitekracing.com/calendar/

I see the one you are thinking about on May 9th- I am tentatively planning a 50mile bike ride up in NH on that day, but I don't have a bike, and if I can't find one then I will definitely be looking around for a race around here.

My trail running shoes are a lot heavier than my road running shoes, they weight 2.5 lbs per pair versus 1.5 lbs per pair for my running shoes (I just weighed them out of curiosity). I don't know if it will help with your leg pain, but it will make you faster.
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2009, 11:29:31 PM »

if you are having trouble with the shin splints you should get running shoes with a fair amount of support. Go to a store and actually talk to a salesperson about your feet. It makes a huge difference, since if I remember right Tony you've said you have weird feet. Tongue me too, and getting shoes that fit me well made a huge difference. I'm personally partial to New Balance training shoes and saucony racing shoes, but find what works best for you.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2009, 05:31:48 AM »

Yup, my feet are screwed up more or less, flat feet and I walk on the outer edge of my feet.
There's a new NB store down the road which does analyzing of your feet so I want to give that a try this weekend

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
djming
Day Tripper

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »

I've been running in my Garmont trail shoes, which might not be good for road running.

That's just wrong in so many ways!  No wonder you're complaining of shin-splint like symptoms.
First of all, trail shoes don't have the proper cushioning for road running.  Very likely a major cause of your leg issues.
Second, they're overall too stiff of a last.  For running, especially road and even trail running, you want a more flexible shoe.  Even the most supportive/motion control running shoes will be more flexible than a trail shoe.  Because of the longer stride length in running, you want a shoe that allows for a full "roll thru" of a foot strike, allowing the foot to fully flex and getting a good push off from the toes.  A stiff trail shoe to a large degree stops this motion, which can lead to more pounding.  Flat feet are tough to find the proper shoe for. Go to a running shoe store and have them look at your feet.  Spend that extra time and money initially to get some good recommendations.  Once you know what will work for you, then you can shop around online for that model.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2009, 08:22:35 PM »

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try, this weekend I'm going to see if I can get a pair of shoes.

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2009, 09:05:09 PM »

if you do go to the new balance store, look at nbwebexpress.com. they usually beat the prices in store and offer free shipping.

with my flat feet and my stress fracture (likely caused by not enough support) i've found that using gel inserts in the shoes helps alot. it may help wit the shin splints.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 08:48:46 AM »

I have the very same problem as you David, flat feet so NB;s are my choice even for walking shoes and gel inserts are in all my shoes even the ones I wear to work. Very very important part.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2009, 09:01:30 PM »

Without me looking, NB expensive?

stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »

Actually they are a little less than other shoes of the same quality. But find what you like and use that site David gave you.
If not that one my wife has another NB wholesale site she uses, I will ask her what it is. It;s Joe's New Balance or something.
***Update**** www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/    if that site David gave you doesn't have what you are looking for or if they are cheaper.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 07:19:23 AM by stuckinjersey » Logged

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2009, 07:23:19 AM »

Thanks !!!!

surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »

I'm an NB fan.  I did what djming suggested and went to runners alley here in manch, and got fitted for a pair of shoes, bought them there and then found my next pair on the web.  The only thing I've noticed about alot of these shoe brands is that they seem to make the same model in different quality levels.  For instance ive seen the same model number NB, sneaker at a running shoe store, and at a department store.  The sneaker at the department store was about half the price but was made with lesser quality, and materials.  My wife found the same thing to be true  with asics.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: