Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 5k Training  (Read 15985 times)
djming
Day Tripper

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2009, 04:36:02 PM »

The only thing I've noticed about alot of these shoe brands is that they seem to make the same model in different quality levels.  For instance ive seen the same model number NB, sneaker at a running shoe store, and at a department store.  The sneaker at the department store was about half the price but was made with lesser quality, and materials.  My wife found the same thing to be true  with asics.

That really surprises me.  I've never come across that and I've worn quite a few different ASICS models (I'm not a NB fan but that has to do with my mechanics and what I look for in a shoe.  They make great shoes, they just don't fit the bill for me).
Are you absolutely positve it is the exact model number? For example, the ASICS GEL-1100 (currently the 1140) and GT-2100 (currently 2140) series are their best selling models.  I am not aware of ASICS making a "lesser quality" version of these models.  Again, are you sure that you're comparing the exact model number, in that all info on the shoe is the same.  Example - an ASICS GEL-105 is a far lesser model than the GEL-1140 (even though both fall under the "GEL" model).  The 1140 is a lesser shoe than the 2140.
I'd love to see an example if this is in fact happening, as I know the area ASICS rep and would like to question him about it if it's true.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2009, 09:57:08 PM »

That really surprises me.  I've never come across that and I've worn quite a few different ASICS models (I'm not a NB fan but that has to do with my mechanics and what I look for in a shoe.  They make great shoes, they just don't fit the bill for me).
Are you absolutely positve it is the exact model number? For example, the ASICS GEL-1100 (currently the 1140) and GT-2100 (currently 2140) series are their best selling models.  I am not aware of ASICS making a "lesser quality" version of these models.  Again, are you sure that you're comparing the exact model number, in that all info on the shoe is the same.  Example - an ASICS GEL-105 is a far lesser model than the GEL-1140 (even though both fall under the "GEL" model).  The 1140 is a lesser shoe than the 2140.
I'd love to see an example if this is in fact happening, as I know the area ASICS rep and would like to question him about it if it's true.
I'm not sure on the model # but she bought one pair at a shoe store and the other at sports authority.  She bought them about 6 mos apart, and they were the same model number.  She loved the first pair, but the sports authority pair never felt right, and the stiching , and material seemed a lot less quality. Maybe it was a change in the manufacturing process, I guess I shouldn't make this sound like a statement of fact,  but in this instance it was how it appeared.  My wife loves asics, I've never tried them maybe I should.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »

I ran the "vie for the kids" 5k Saturday morning at Ethel Walker School in Simsbury.  It was a fundraiser benefiting children's cancer research at CCMC - Connecticut Children's Medical Center. Over $4000 was raised. It was sobering seeing pictures of kids posted on trees around the course.

It was a trail run, entirely on the grounds of the school, and was my favorite race so far. The course was nice and wet and muddy, so there was a lot of jumping over small puddles and streams, and cutting through the woods around huge puddles. My nice white running shoes aren't so pretty anymore  Cry The first mile was mostly downhill, then a flat second mile, then a brutal steep climb to the top of a hill overlooking the finish, and a short steep downhill to the finish line.

I came in 23rd out of 300 or so, and was 5th in my age group, and only 11 seconds from a medal. My time was 22:51. To be a little modest, the course measured a little short according to my GPS, at exactly 3.0 miles, instead of 3.1 that a 5k should be. But still, I am very happy because of the type of terrain, so I think I can mark it down as an improvement.

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »

Congrats !
Nice time.

I just picked up a pair of NB's yesterday, I'll be giving them a test run today.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »

run through the puddles, cosmic, through the puddles!

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2009, 07:14:03 AM »

Not great, but not terrible. Undecided
Place Divpl Tot Div   Nettime Pace  Guntime  Name                   Ag S Race# City/state             
===== ===== === ===== ======= ===== =======  ====================== == = ===== =======================
1133   130/290 M3034   25:58  8:22   26:15  Jan Wrona              33 M   591 Goffstown NH           

This race is my favorite 5k. Its so much fun because there are so many people, and the the top finishers get pretty good money so theres always some elite runners that show up and they are amazing to watch.  I'm not sure why but I can practice this course way faster than I have ever ran it for the race. On July 8th I practiced this course at 21:40.  I had been running a bunch until the begining of july, but then I started mostly road biking after the 4th of july.  I think that may be a reason I lost so much time.   About 6000 people started and about 5000 finished.  The last 1/2 mile of the race climbs an 8% grade and I love how it sounds when you hit that section.  Nobodys making any noise except for foot steps.
Here was the start on the news.  I actually made it on to the news cast when I was finishing caues I finished right behind the local weatherman.

Cigna 5k start on WMUR

The winner was 13:53!  Shocked
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:57:42 AM by surf88 » Logged

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2009, 10:05:08 AM »

Good job man.  I wonder what your pace would have been if there wasn't that finish line hill.

In high school we would do a 1 mile run for gym class and I was always in the 6:30 range and always found it very easy to run that pace at least for 1 mile.  A few years later I tried after not running at all and couldn't even run 1 mile.  Its amazing how quickly you lose it. 

cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2009, 10:42:02 AM »

Nice job-That finish sounds really tough. 1/2 mile of 8% grade is a long way uphill.

It's interesting that you say you have run the course faster in training. I have found so far that I always run faster in races because of the adrenalin. Especially in the beginning of races, I tend to go out pretty fast, where in training I start slow and gradually speed up.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2009, 11:42:35 AM »

Nice job-That finish sounds really tough. 1/2 mile of 8% grade is a long way uphill.

It's interesting that you say you have run the course faster in training. I have found so far that I always run faster in races because of the adrenalin. Especially in the beginning of races, I tend to go out pretty fast, where in training I start slow and gradually speed up.

This is unlike any other 5k ive done because there are 6000 people all packed together at the starting line. I think its because this course is so crowded at first, and you usually have to weave in and out of traffic for the first mile and end up getting stuck behing slower people and then practically sprinting to get around them when you see an opening. after the 1/2 way point it thins out alot and then you can finally start to get in to a pace.

I wonder what your pace would have been if there wasn't that finish line hill.
As for the hill at the end that seems to be the only place I am faster than some other runners.  All in all, I'm not very fast never have been and have a very short stride, 7-8 min miles are the best I can sustain.  But I train on hills alot and can sustain my 7-8 min mile pace easily on that last 1/2 mile section of hill.  Thats why I still really want to run the MW auto road race to see how I perform on that hill in comparison to runners I know would be way better than me in a normal road race.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: