Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hiking Training  (Read 1674 times)
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« on: December 02, 2008, 08:26:52 AM »

I am curious what others have done to become stronger hikers (besides hiking more - I already know that one!)

Last weekend told me this: All the running, cycling, and hiking I have done this fall has helped tremendously for the climbing. I felt a lot better, and was faster, hiking to the summit with a heavy pack in the winter, than with a light pack in the summer. Granted, we did it in two days not one.
But on the descent I feel like I am not improving as much as I would like. I was pretty tired after decending Lions Head- my quads were burning pretty bad. And then the next day, same thing after hiking down TRT. This is muscle fatigue I am talking about, not joint pain.

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:05:24 AM »

I hiked up and down sundown as many times as I could before my trip to the Daks with weight in my pack.

I usually hiked with 40 lbs or so, and then I ramped it up to 55 lbs which was difficult in the summer.

Other than than, I just started running.  I hate running ..... its horrible  Grin

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 09:27:53 AM »

Well stairs is the obvious one, if you have access to a good stairmaster, besides that squats and lunges, and hip flexor, quads, calfs, and hamstring stretches all help me.  One thing I ve noticed is that when hiking in snow I tend to use different muscles than on terrain.  In snow it is alot more like just going up stairs, while on terrain I tend to use my calves alot more to stabilize.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: