Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trail Food  (Read 5664 times)
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 30, 2009, 08:02:38 AM »

For me; when going out in the backcountry, food is important.
Over the past few years, I've been put forth a concerted effort to try an improve my trail food.

I'm an avid reader of Backpacker magazine, and always pay close attention to their food tips as well, although some are a little too ambitious.

A few members here, along with my self take note as to which dehydrated meals are good and which ones are not, there is even a WIKI page dedicated to whats good on this site.

Aside from the dehydrated meals, what have you all come up with that you like to take with you into the backcountry?

Just last trip to Tux, for lunch I brought some flour tortillas and a pouch of albacore tuna in a pouch; I used the mayonase packs you get at the deli (free) and it was a home run for me.  I mixed the tuna up with the mayo in the pouch, and then scooped it onto my tortillas and threw some cheese on it.   I always carry cheese.

Cheese is a great comfort food that you can share with friends on the trail, but if its summer, you have to eat the cheese in a few days, unlike the winter, where it stays good forever.

Jerky is good.
Chocolate is always good.

I tried spam once or twice..... Not the best.....

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 08:44:33 AM »

First off Spam Blows!

OK well I have had good use with a dehydrator. I use left overs for some meals. Dehydrate them then just rehydrate them same as a Mountain House meal.
I have dehydrated Chilly, Spegetie and chicken and rice all with good results. This only works for suppers though.
Lunch s normal a home made trail mix. Granola, mixed nuts, dried cranberries, and Recces Pieces.
For a day hike I often have a triple decker PB&J.

Good idea with the tuna and tortilla. Though I would loose the mayo.

I have also done the pouched chicken but found it to be heavy.
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 09:46:50 AM »

Fresh ice cream is good.  On McKinley in Â’73 we didnÂ’t have regular or reliable radio contact with any place off the mountain so our bush pilot, Don Sheldon, would over-fly us once in a while when he was in the area.  Three of us were ferrying gear by Windy Corner up to the basin at the bottom of the West Butress, at about 14,000 feet, when Don came over.  He circled and came back low and slow toward us.  Tipped the wings and threw some stuff out of the plane.  Three gallons of ice cream landed within a few feet of where we stood. 

Baked chicken is good too.  Around 10 days later, we were just coming off of CarstenÂ’s Ridge onto the Muldrow Glacier when he came over again.  This time several, still hot, baked chickens hit the snow and our planned supper of canned tuna and rice was postponed.

IÂ’m allergic to apples which is pain for backpacking.  Pears get all beat up.  Pineapples are heavy and inconvenient to prepare.  Mangos and guava are mushy and hard to pack.

I like bananas.  But they must be carefully stored and if they are not allowed to breathe, some gas accumulates they turn black.

The answer:

The Banana Guard.  Think about the guy coming home to his wife with two kids and saying, “Great news, Honey.  IÂ’ve quit my job and we are going to get rich selling my new invention!  Backpackers and day-trippers around the world will line up to buy it.”

It actually works.  The holes allow the noxious gas to escape; the rigid plastic case protects the fruit; and the curve allows any size banana to fit securely in the case without slipping around and getting bruised.

The Scout troop was hiking up Monadnoc when one of boys finished eating an apple and was thinking about chucking the core at a squirrel.  A second boy asked if he could have core and, of course, the first said “No.  I always eat the core myself.”  And, he did.  Scarfed it down, stem, seeds, those little hard parts in the center and all.  The second boy said, “Oh.  I was thinking about chucking it at that squirrel."

The banana peel remains a problem.   Leaving a peel in the woods isn't at all consistent with low-impack trekking.  The peel really isnÂ’t very good to eat – sort of bitter and those stringy things get caught in your teeth.  Trying to burn it over a stove inside the tent during an afternoon thunderstorm isnÂ’t a good idea – the fumesÂ…well, just trust me on this one. 

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:34:25 AM »

Cool story Tommy!

I'm allergic to fresh apples, peaches, plums, cherries, nectarines, and large amounts of fresh strawberries.

I discovered that the fruit protein is similar to the pollen protein and my body can't distinguish between the two, so I have a reaction.
Once the fruit is cooked or fermented, the protein is changed enough so my body knows it's not pollen.
I have bad seasonal allergies, so the Dr's say its cause of that.....

Tropical fruit is fine with me, except kiwis ..

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:38:18 AM »

The banana guard is hilarious!

I guess there are two philosophies about the role of food in backpacking. Do you eat to be able to hike? Or do you hike to be able to eat? Lately, I have been eating to be able to hike, which is the ultralight philosophy and involves carrying only highly calorie dense foods, i.e., the highest energy to weight ratio, I think peanut butter is an excellent example, at 170 calories per ounce, or 2720 calories per pound. You could easily survive a full day on one pound of peanut butter (sorry...bad example atruss), maybe be at a calorie deficit if you hiked a long distance, but you would be okay. Cheddar cheese is pretty good too, at about 1920 calories per pound. This is using food as an energy source and not much else. I generally try to pack about 1 lb per day of food as a rule of thumb for a weekend trip. For a longer trip, I would up this to 1 1/2 lbs per day, so that I don't run a calorie deficit for too long.

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 09:54:09 AM »

Am I the only one who looked at that banana guard and thought something else? I mean, c'mon...banana guard? Maybe i'm being the immature high-schooler here, but still. It's a good idea, but I'd lose it if someone pulled one of those out on a trip.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 10:13:13 AM »

Looking at that thing in the wrong mindset, its disturbing  Shocked

stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 11:27:48 AM »

These girls look a little too happy!!!  Grin Open wide and say ahhh!!!!!haha

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »

Jersey, where did you get that photo?  Shocked

surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »

I just died laughing.  Where did you find that?

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 05:58:37 PM »

google image search my friend. could not resist after Davids comments.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 06:16:46 AM »

My lil brothers getting married in 2 weeks.  I think im going to get him one of those for a wedding present.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 06:20:29 AM »

Thats a great idea !!!

My, how this thread went off the tracks huh....  Roll Eyes

Tommy's shaking his head right now.  Cheesy

Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:43:59 AM »

Am I the only one who looked at that banana guard and thought something else? I mean, c'mon...banana guard? Maybe i'm being the immature high-schooler here, but still. It's a good idea, but I'd lose it if someone pulled one of those out on a trip.

I'll have to admit that there are certain aspects about growing older that catch me up once in a while.

When I skinned up to Williams Lake on my tele gear, there was only one person at the Lake.  She was trying to take a self picture and I skied over and volunteered to help. 

While we were talking, I started my lunch and pulled the B.G. out of my pack.  She asked about it and then said she said it would solve the problem of what to get her fiance for his birthday.  I had no second thoughts about what she meant and gave her the information about where I had found it (the Aerostitch motorcycle apparel catelogue).  It never occurred to me that I might have been able to help in other ways.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:42:22 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: