Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Milford Road Race - 8M - July 25, 2009  (Read 2559 times)
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« on: July 25, 2009, 02:45:18 PM »

As I've said before, I am trying to increase my distance as I work toward a 1/2 marathon in the fall. 8 miles is an odd distance, but it was perfect because it was a small step up from a 10k. New Milford Road Race is a pretty big race around here, apparently. There were probably 400 runners in the 8 mile, and another 400 or so in a 5k they had today too. It was all part of a big fair they were having on the New Milford Green. 42nd annual.

This was my first solo race because my sister forgot she was going to still be in NH so she couldn't make it. I didn't see a reason to cancel for myself. I was itching to run a race - it's been a while and this one was too perfect.

I had no idea what the course would be like, and I was in for some surprises. It was a relatively cool July morning, and the course was mostly in the shade so things could have been more difficult I suppose.

The first 3 1/2 miles were mostly uphill, but a slow climb that you notice but doesn't kick your butt swiftly. The course is a big oval and as you are kind of rounding the tip of the oval, it becomes a gentle downhill. I was cruising, and thought the gentle grade would continue down into town. WRONG! It took a left up a friggin mountain and I almost had a heart attack running up it. It's good I didn't know about it ahead of time because I would have run much slower in anticipation. As it turned out, I was able to get up and over the hill ok, and then a very steep descent into town and the finish.

My time was just under an hour, 59 minutes and change. My goal was to finish under an hour so I was happy, especially with the terrain.

I didn't take any pics, but I thought the elevation profile was pretty cool and shows the hill I was talking about. It was over 200 vertical feet at the end. That doesn't sound like much for hiking, but it's tough during a race-

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 05:29:50 PM »

Wow 8 miles in 59 mins.

Very impressive in my eyes.

I run 4 in 45mins....  I don't work at it much

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »

yeah, I probably work at it too much these days...I need to get back in the woods!!
djming
Day Tripper

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »

Nice job!  That IS a tough hill to have at the end of a race like that.
So, looking back at your posted 10K time from earlier (7:48 pace) and now this one at just under 7:30's for 8 miles I'd say you're making some excellent progress.  With still a solid 2 months of training, or more depending on when your half is, you should see some significant improvement and probably surprise yourself at the half.
Getting some longer races in makes sense, along with getting in consistent long runs.  But don't ignore another 5miler or 10K.  Also good to throw in a 5K or 2 to get some turnover, especially if we get some much warmer weather (which can make a longer race that much more miserable).
Without knowing your 5K best, but basing on your last 2 races I'd suggest targeting sub 7's for a 5K.  Then try a 10K at around 7:10-7:15 pace (if you can do an 8 miler at 7:30's, you should be able to a 10K right now at just over 7:20 so with a bit more training...) sometime in late August to mid Sept.
Do that and 7:30 pace will begin to feel quite comfortable and probably allow you to start the half right around that pace.
I say this of course without knowing if you have a goal time in mind for a half.
Good luck!

Speaking of getting back in the woods, I'm usually doing some nice trail running at this point.  But with all the rain we've had in Central MA (we had one storm a couple weeks back that dumped 5" in an hour in parts of Worcester!) the trails are an absoulte mess.  There's a small stream near my house that right now is running rapids and flooding many yards.  Plus the deerflies are starting to come out in force, and you can't outrun those damn things!
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 10:55:12 AM »

I think not knowing is usually better.  At least that way you don't physc  yourself out.

Last week I went for a run in my parents town and for you that know the area this was the loop.  From the house to West St. to Old Forge to Mill St. to Rt 20 and back to the house.  It was 6.2 miles with 2 pretty good hills, up mill st. and then up Rt. 20.  I was worrying about those hills all day long and looking back they weren't that bad.  I just kept my head down. 

But thats a great time for your race.   
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 11:12:47 AM »

That's a nice 10k loop- and the mill street hill is huge, also a long climb up rt 20. How did your joints hold up?
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 11:51:29 AM »

I ran 3 times last week, 4 miles on the dreadmill then that 6.2 loop, and then another 4 miles on the treadmill all consecutive days.  Overall I felt very good but could tell I needed to stop at that point and let my legs get at least a few days to rest so I'll be back to the eliptical for a while. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: