Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Metacomet Trail  (Read 15869 times)
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2009, 07:20:11 PM »

Love the camera case story. "Live free or die" Little camera case dude. hehe  Grin
May you guys are really chewing up the old blue book trails. Nice work! Reps deserved and given!
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »

Metacomet Trail
Sections 6a, 6b, 7a, 7b, 8a, 8b
West Hartford, Bloomfield, Simsbury, East Granby, CT
November 29, 2009

Miles Hiked 16.0
Total Miles To Date 59.3
Total Trail Miles To Date 53.9

Rage and I got back out for our fourth day on the Metacomet a couple of weeks ago. We hiked from Rt 44 in West Hartford to Rt 20 in East Granby, 16 miles. The section covered some really impressive terrain (for Connecticut!!) including West Hartford Reservoir, Avon Mountain, and Heublein Tower. I personally didn't feel as strong as usual having just gotten over the flu and still feeling some fatigue. But despite that, it was a great day on the trail.

Approaching Heublein Tower

Looking east off of the ridge with village of Simsbury visible

Crossing the Farmington River in Tarriffville

Typical look of the trail

Rage looking down over Tarriffville and the Farmington River

We now have only one more day on the trail, about 10 more miles up to the Massachusetts border. Looking forward to wrapping this one up before the end of the year.
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 03:19:21 PM »

Cosmic and Rage. Man that is some brotherly hiking love there. Glad you cats are almost done and hope you get it in before 2010.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 03:24:16 PM »

Good pitctures that really show how nice a rural landscape can be, even without deep wilderness, snow or mountains. 

I did my first combat roll in the "gorge" on the Tarriffville section of the Farmington.  Sometime around 1980 I guess.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2009, 09:06:05 AM »

Very Nice guys. This section is right near were I work. I should check it out more.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2009, 10:42:08 AM »

Good work guys.
One day I'd like to do that.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »

This has been a nice report,the pics and info have been great, to learn about a trail I'll prolly never hike.   I've always wanted to do the complete NH section of AT in sections like this, and this TR has rekindled the idea.  However the TR has made me a little sad, and jealous cause my brother who is in seattle right now hasnt been around to hike with this year.  But he should be back in the Northeast next year.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 07:42:14 AM »

Its been a really good hike and am looking forward to completing the last section. 

As much as I like hiking up in the whites etc.. its been nice to explore some of the local trails too. 
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »

Metacomet Trail
Sections 9a, 9b, 9c
East Granby, Suffield, CT
December 27, 2009

Miles Hiked 7.3
Total Miles To Date 66.6
Total Trail Miles To Date 61.2

Rage and I finished up the Metacomet on Sunday morning. Unfortunately, things were a little soggy after a lot of rain overnight. But on the bright side, we didn't actually get rained on.

At the border between East Granby and Suffield was a cool little signpost. This is what the trail looked like for the first five miles. In the background you can tell that you are up on a ridge, but socked in with fog.

Self portrait

Tricky stream crossing. This was actually a few inches of running water over ice. I had my camera out in case things got interesting.

Our final destination, the Massachusetts border. The final two miles of the "trail" was actually a road walk up to the border. The border is where the white line on the left starts.

It was great to wrap this up, since so often these multi-day plans start off strong but never actually get finished, as life throws different interests and responsibilities at you. This trail was consistently impressive for its entire length. Other than the few sections of road linking the sections of trails there isn't a section I wouldn't recommend.

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »

Nice Job Guys !!!

Cool Reportage too.

I'm going to drag Rage along when I get some time to do it.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: