Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Avalanche Helmet Camera movie  (Read 2849 times)
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« on: September 24, 2009, 01:15:16 PM »

Check this out, it's hard to watch. I was amazed how quickly it all stopped from
start time and also how light it go into the snow pack as the above layers were
shovel away. My back country advice is don't go picking fights with snow, it will
win 9 out of 10. At least to me it looks like he had space to stop and see what the
what the sluff was going to do, I did this in the daks when some racing sluff gave a
a reason to second guess the condition. Of course most would have been ripping it
up in pure first track blissness! You snooze you lose right!!!!? I guess I snost and lost  Tongue
http://gizmodo.com/5366887/pov-helmet-cam-captures-skier-causing-avalanche-getting-buried-and-getting-rescued

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 02:35:32 PM »

Wow. That is really scary. That footage should make it into an avalanche training/safety video at some point. Thanks for posting this, jersey.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:55:20 PM »

Heres the clicp
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 09:57:09 PM by atruss » Logged

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:03:47 PM »

Very scary, catastrophic feeling just from watching it.

Yikes

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 10:04:40 PM »

How could he breath?
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:06:52 PM »

I don't think he was breathing that much, maybe he had an avalung, or formed a pocket near his face before it settled; the CO2 must of been high in there.
It seemed like forever just watching it.

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 12:37:08 AM »

from the original gizmodo post:

Quote from: gizmodo
This was a decent sized avalanche. 1,500 feet the dude fell in a little over 20 seconds. The crown was about 1 - 1.5m. The chute that he got sucked through to the skier's right was flanked on either side by cliff bands that were about 30m tall. He luckily didn't break any bones and obviously didn't hit anything on the run out.

He was only buried for 4 and a half minutes which is incredibly short. In that time, though, you can hear his breathing already accelerate. The ruffling noise back and forth is his chest rising and falling and the noise that his jacket makes. The intermittent whimpering noise you hear is him trying to swallow and get some air.

Scary, scary stuff. He was falling 71 ft/sec, which is 48 miles/hour. Yikes!

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:33:18 AM »

Not the kind of film I hope to be making anytime soon.  Wow, this is the most haunting thing I've seen in a while.  Since watching it earlier this morning my whole mood has been affected today, and I feel all melincolly still.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:17:41 PM by surf88 » Logged

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: