Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Garmont Syner-G advice  (Read 1812 times)
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 23, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on these this weekend:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270676069572&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I need a pair of tele boots for my setup I bought earlier this fall.

I have Black Diamond 02 binders with Mid-stiff cartridges, on 162 shorties (BD Nunyos)

I want these boots to stick with me through the learning process, and still be able to suit my needs in the backcountry if I decided to use them rather than my AT gear.

I am curious about how well these will suit a first timer on Tele
I will be taking lessons prior to going it alone

I am also curious how well these will perform with touring.
I know the BD 02 binders don't have a "touring" mode, and with mid-stiffs is touring even a possibliity at all?

Jan, I know you answered these questions before, but I forgot what you said over the phone.
This way all advice will be posted here so I won't loose the information.

Thanks all.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »

My son is using BD 02 mid spring bindings with Garmont SynerG boots on his tele skis.  He reports that has skated over two miles with them on solid surface and that he has treked out of remote canyon drops in deep snow for the same kind of distance.  The binding is an active binding (that is, it pulls itself back to heel  rather than just dangling free) and Lans thinks it needs a little more effort to move fast for a long distance but he doesn't really notice it when just trudging along.   ( It is worth noting that Lans has competed in World Championships on the U.S. Ski Orienteering Team and his evaluation of "a little more effort" may differ from yours.)

My own experience with a fairly stiff boot (T2) and a very active binding (Hammerhead) in soft, unbroken snow hikes of a few miles up followed by an easy run down is that I appreciate the control on the run down much more than I mind the resistence on the trek up.  In truth, with all that stuff on my feet, combined with the variability of snow surfaces, angles and all, I am not inclined to compare my effort to something like ultra-light backpacking on a smooth trail and I just plain don't think about it at all.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »

I liked the synergies cause they were really stiff and I'm not an expert at Tele, so I could default to parallel turns any time I wanted. I had the synergies with BD 01's.  The BD 01s have a touring mode with a pivot point similar to an AT binding, so as far as touring goes with the BD 02 I cant tele you anything except I assume they will be stiff and heavy for touring.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 12:14:33 PM »

Yeah, I figured the stiffness would be an issue.
If I get to tour in them than thats a plus, but I don't expect to be doing much BC with them this season.
I plan on attending a few clinics and skill building.

On my AT setup is where I'll be in the BC.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: