Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tommy T advise!  (Read 1838 times)
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:37:55 PM »

This is not really BC advise relate but advise none the less. So Tommy T, my cousin (in the Air Force) is stationed with his family in Mountain Home
and will be move this coming summer to Germany. I'm thinking of heading out there to get some turns in since it's my last chance. So I know you have
been before, do I even bother with other ski areas in that state or just ski the crap out of Sun Valley?? I'm probably only going to get 3 or 4 days total
so I don't want to be wasting time.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 06:38:26 PM »

http://www.techsourceconsultants.com/smf/index.php?topic=1069.msg9696#msg9696 

That is the link to my season summary of Sun Valley.  If you are going to be in Mountain Home, there is no other big mountain near-by.  In fact, there is no other mountain near-by that is even worth thinking about wasting 20% of your short time on.  Other than Bald Mountain at Sun Valley, you're talking about areas whose claim to fame is "closest ski area to Boise" and that sort of thing.

My review was based on a full season and the big mountain at Sun Valley certainly was not worth a full season to me.  If you look in the same thread at my in depth reports on specific aspects of Bald Mountain, you will see that there is plenty to keep you busy for a few days, on piste and off.

For easy to access, short, back-country runs, on moderate terrain without great technical problems or avi danger, Galena Pass is hard to beat for a day of earn your turns if you get bored on Baldy.  I rode the whole season with a torn rotator cuff and did not do much in the back country at all.

Sun Valley is definitely better than any area I've been to in New Jersey, or for that matter, Pennsylvania or New York.

And, at Twin Falls you can still see the ramp from which Evil Knievil launched his rocket bike into the Snake River.  Cheesy

Good turns.  Enjoy yourself.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 06:43:46 PM »

Oh, I forgot.

The inside scoop on the off-piste is in the Vault at this this address

http://www.techsourceconsultants.com/smf/index.php?topic=1162.msg8573#msg8573

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: