Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: DRY ICE IS COOL!  (Read 1832 times)
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2010, 01:24:11 PM »

FYI
The dry ice experiment worked perfect!
I bought 30 lbs of dry ice that came in what looked like ice cubs.
The guys selling the dry ice in my town were a lot of help and told me what to do.

They gave me these pager bags that were plastic lined on the inside and looked similar to lawn bags but smaller. I think these bags were the key to success. With out them I would say use a plastic garbage bag and a paper lawn bag together for similar results.

I filled up two of these bags with about 15lbs of dry ice each. Placed it in the bottom of two coolers and I put one piece of cardboard on top the bag. I then filled the cooler with 60+ beers and a small amount of food.

I was advised not to use any normal or “wet” ice. Due to the condensation from that ice will drip down and cause the dry ice to evaporate faster. So I did not.

I bought the ice at 4:00 pm on Thursday and finished the last cold beer on Sunday afternoon.

The cost was about 40 bucks for 30 lbs. Not sure I would do anything different for the same type of trip. Worked great and thought I would pass on the information.
p1fiend
Mountaineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:39:21 PM »

Good to hear you had success.

I assume the bag the ice was in wasn't air-tight right?  Just dumped in the bag and folded the top over?  

I strolled across the street today from building to building @ work with a cup of dry ice in a zip-lock bagged, sealed on purpose  Grin.  It was a little swollen needless to say.

I have fun at work seeing how much it can expand a glove, dumping left-over ice into my water bath to make a smoke machine, and rubbing it on stainless steel to another the other workers  Cheesy

Long Days and Pleasant Nights   http://www.timstripstoday.shutterfly.com/
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:50:04 AM »

Thats a big carbon foot print for a cold beer Smiley

Haha Literally 30lbs of CO2.  
That sounds like a fun trip, and cold beers must have been great!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:37:19 PM by surf88 » Logged

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:07:52 PM »

Yes Tim I just folded the top of the bag over and put it in the bottom.

The cold beer was worth the extra carbon foot print. We had 14 people in our group who were not using any gas or power. So it may balance out. Maybe.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: