Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: lower leg Pain  (Read 3362 times)
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »

My coast walk has left me in alot more pain/soreness than the Pemi loop did.  I think its related to walking on the loose sand, gravel shells, and  sloped shoreline all day.  The lateral ligaments just above my ankle on my left leg(down hill foot when walking south)are still super sore.  Walking is tough and the outside of my lower shin/upper ankle are is super tender to the touch.
I cant seem to find a stretch to help loosen it up?  Ive never had pain here before, anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
p1fiend
Mountaineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 09:45:56 PM »

Foam roller?  Never tried one, but they are supposed to hurt to heal I guess.  Roll it over the sore area.

Interested to hear how others deal with soreness/pain after hikes.

I took a nice slip this past Sunday at a waterfall, landing on my left but/hip.  Kills even today.  Just been stretching it and walking it off.  Did some sqauts and step-ups today while working out.

All else fails...time will heal it, but who wants to wait...

Long Days and Pleasant Nights   http://www.timstripstoday.shutterfly.com/
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »

Trauma is trauma.  I mean, if you fall your hip and have a sore spot that goes away in few days, you had a bruise -- big deal.  If you step on a rock crooked and tweak you ankle and it goes away in a few days, you had a strain -- 'nother big deal.  If you keep yourself pretty fit but still get cramps, aches, limps, "strains" and other problems every time you take a hike, you may have something else that could benefit from attention.

Example: my whole adult life, I thought that when you overflex your ankle by stepping with your heel low and your toes up on a rock, you get a sharp pain.  Then I broke a different part of my ankle and when the doctor looked at the X-rays he said there was a very large bone spur in the place where I usually got that sharp pain and he removed it while he was putting screws in the break.  Never had the pain again.

Surf, if you have good insurance, go see an orthopedic surgeon and get some tests like an EMG.  Those leg cramps and pains might be a symptom of something completely different, like a developing pinched nerve in the lower back or a reduction in nerve response in the fibers that protect against over-stretching.  Cramps, for example, might be low calcium or it might be a defective enzyme.

Tommy T. 

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:57:38 AM »

This I think is a strain related to far different walking conditions than my body is used to.  This seems to be a strained ligament from walking on loose terrain while traversing a slope in the same direction for 20 miles.  Ive got a cadillac insurance plan and I may look into this if it persists.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »

I get a simuliar pain but it is due to my disks, so if it's not related to that can't help. Other than that I have completely stopped wearing anything low cut (other than flip flops or work shoes) and also had a pair of Sure Foot pads created for my everyday shoes since I wasn't really walking properly and causing my alignment to kick out. You ever go to a chiro? I swear by them, always feel so good afterwards. I found it wasn't just my back it was also my hips causing my legs to sit odd so when I walked my one leg sat slightly longer than the other throwing me even more off alignment. I was like 7 or 8 degrees off alignment when I started which they told me was pretty tweaked out. Yet other than soreness I never really thought about it, now I notice how I sit, stand and walk way more and I notice when my body start to tweak out of alignment so I can try to correct it by stretching.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:49:01 PM »

This is the most similar injury I could find on the internets:
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/ankle/highankle.php
The only thing is, that I didnt seem to have any traunatizing incedents.  Just over use.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »

I went to the Doctor today and now I'm waiting to hear back on my xrays.  The doctor is hoping that my injury is a shin splint, but has never seen the pain that low for a splint, and the area the pain is in is more idicative of fracture.  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked
Keep your fingers crossed for me. I've had shin splints before and they didnt feel like this.  The annoying thing is that xrays kind of suck at showing stress fractures, and I might not be eligible for further testing until I give this some time to rest and see if it gets better.  I'm not very good at resting.  Its been 2 years since my last sports injury and I havent forgotten how awful resting for extended periods of time is.  Joining you guys on the pemi loop does not look good right now.  In fact, I was planning a Hut Traverse with Clif for the first weekend in August but that may be a no go now too.  Cry  Cry

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 12:43:30 AM »

having had a stress fracture, they suck. sorry jan there really isn't any way around it. rest, no impact sports...which means hiking, running, basically anything fun. make sure you get an MRI done as the fracture can show up on an MRI and not an xray. good luck!

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 09:15:35 PM »

No Hiking or Running for probably a month!
I cant wait to see how fat I can get in a month.   Angry

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 09:56:12 PM »

sorry to hear it brother. What did the xrays show?

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:39:32 AM »

I hope you recover fast and stronger!
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 10:03:42 PM »

After resting for 3 weeks on a  supposed fracture (x rays inconclusive but doc said the area of pain was indicative of likely fracture), that my insurance wanted me topay 20% of an MRI to confirm, so I didnt get one.... Today I got sick of resting, I hiked up the TRT to the Summit of Mt Washington, and back down the Lions head trail.  No Pain.  Everything felt fine.  I still dont have a digital camera, so I bought a disposable camera, Ill put up a TR when I get the film developed.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 02:27:30 AM »

Glad to hear things felt good !

Did you notice a physical fitness difference because you have been stationary for 3 weeks?

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 02:59:22 PM »

Glad to hear things felt good !

Did you notice a physical fitness difference because you have been stationary for 3 weeks?
Fitness level felt fine.  I think my muscles enjoyed the rest.  The only thing I noticed is that my joints felt a little more rattley on the way down.  It seems like my muscles protect the joints better when Im hiking and running regularly.  I signed up a while back  to run a 5k this week that I had written off, but now I think I'll do it.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: