Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Introduction to Surfing  (Read 2089 times)
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:53:24 PM »

I'm going to be renting a surf board this week and play around in the waves at the Cape.

Surf is not too large, but there are TONS of surfers hitting the ocean side at Marconi, Nausett Light, and Coast Guard beach and it is something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid, so I'm going to bit the bullet and give it a try.

I don't have high expectations on what I'll acomplilsh, but I have to start somewhere.
So my questions are as follows:  (I'm guessing these questions are in Surf's department, but all suggestions are welcome.

I am planning on renting a short board, little taller than myself, as I think it will be easier to manage in and out of the water.
Do you think thats a good idea?

Should I wax the top of the board for traction?
the ones I saw at the rental shop seemed a little thin

How should I approach the act of riding a wave?
I boggie board and body surf and understand the concept of riding a wave, but standing up and riding is another ballgame.

This week I've studied the Surfer's techniques, and am planning mimmicing them.

Any help is greatly apreciated.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »

Answers in red:

I'm going to be renting a surf board this week and play around in the waves at the Cape.

Surf is not too large, (Thanks  Grin)but there are TONS of surfers hitting the ocean side at Marconi, Nausett Light, and Coast Guard beach and it is something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid, so I'm going to bit the bullet and give it a try.

I don't have high expectations on what I'll acomplilsh, but I have to start somewhere.
So my questions are as follows:  (I'm guessing these questions are in Surf's department, but all suggestions are welcome.

I am planning on renting a short board, little taller than myself, as I think it will be easier to manage in and out of the water.
Do you think thats a good idea? Bad Idea! rent a "fun shape" "cheater board" at least 7'6"  short boards are very difficult to learn on.  Any descent shop will know what you need for a board to learn

Should I wax the top of the board for traction?
the ones I saw at the rental shop seemed a little thin Yes

How should I approach the act of riding a wave?
I boggie board and body surf and understand the concept of riding a wave, but standing up and riding is another ballgame.

This week I've studied the Surfer's techniques, and am planning mimmicing them.
The one piece of advice I cant stress enough is paddle paddle paddle!  Good surfers make the act of catching the wave look easy, but really it takes paddling with all your might to catch it early enough to stand up.  Another begginer mistake is paddling too far back on the board.  You want to be far enough forward that you actually almost (operative word is almost)sink the nose of the board  under the water right before you stand up.  One more thing is  if you watch good surfers youll see that they actually paddle toward the shoulder of the wave while dropping in, instead of straight into the wave.  I doubt you'll be catching any shoulders your first time out, but paddling straight into the wave is a bad habit to get into.

Any help is greatly apreciated.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:31:43 PM by surf88 » Logged

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 10:28:29 PM »

I'd add one more tip:  when you are ready to stand up, stand up quickly in a single move!  You need to go from laying down with hands in the water paddling like crazy to standing up, in balance, riding the board in sudden spring to both feet, simultaneously, followed immediately by straightening up.

And, especially when beginning, ride the foam for as long as you can.  It's good balance practice and a fine time to learn how edging steers the board.  Once you're a pro, you'll think the foam is a waste of time and try cut back before the break so you can get back out catch another one.  But, to start, time just standing up and moving is golden.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:38:28 AM »

an old surfer myself, all great comments and will second with Surf that paddling is the big one along with not waiting too long to start paddling. I find most make that mistake often, they paddle super hard but they started too late and the wave was too fast. You will just get tired and pissed, instead of totally getting tubed bra!!!!! Brings back the mem's man, I remember my first stick it was a Schrof single fin that was adjustable for style of riding. It was an awesome learning board since it was 3" thick and floated anything but was 5'10" so you could thrash it around when you got better. From there i went to a twin fin cause it was 80's still and they were just coming out with dem fancy 3 fin models. Ahh the memories.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:42:08 AM »

I was hopeing to try surfing this year, but the dude who had the gear got canned here at work so I'm SOL.

Tony did you givee it a go? How was it for you?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: