Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2010 - 2011 Ski Season Thread: Bozeman, MT.  (Read 29858 times)
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 01, 2010, 06:22:59 PM »

Grin Grin Big Sky Ski Patrol  Grin Grin new Subaru Impreza  Grin Grin

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:00:47 PM »

Very cool !

Grats on the new Subie

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 10:00:33 PM »

Big Sky Ski Patrol 

Wow.   Shocked

From what I heard about your parking ticket enforcement, combined with what I've disclosed in my own reports about my tendancies to duck ropes, mis-interpret signs and generally bluff patrol, I don't want anything to do Big Sky on a day when you're working there. 

I glad the Summit County deal came in before Bozeman.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »

darn sno-cop's!!! Whats the problem man you didn't get enough respect from the other skiers so you had to become the FUZZ man!!!! What happened to you Dave, you used to be soo cool!
I'm going to get you this shirt it's really darn funny.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:10 PM »

LOL !!!

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 12:27:37 PM »

Josh that shirt is hilarious!

And it's more like the free big sky season pass that comes with the patrol, the chance to get experience using my EMT license, my feelings on turning a blind eye to people like Tommy, and the image stuck in my head of three big sky patrollers traversing way, way over above the turkey bowl and then skiing down three separate, long, steep untracked chutes that the public couldn't access.

That and patrol members get ticket discounts at other mountains so when I drive down to Jhole and CO to see friends, it'll be cheaper to ski there.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 10:29:34 AM »

I signed a lease yesterday on this 2 bedroom house 2 blocks from campus with a fireplace.

so excited to not live in the dorms.

also, my subie

« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:41:09 AM by David Howland » Logged

My Blog - Frigid Light

stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:14:23 PM »

Nice car buddy, get rid of dem fancy tires and grab some On / Off's or snows. My subie handled like a sunken row boat with the stocks on her. Was not impressed at all and thought Subie drivers didn't know what snow driving was like, then new tires and OMG dude! thing is like a snowplow. This winter I drove it right through a 4 foot snow bank and got stuck, unstuck and then drove through  it with more speed for good measures, making through that time. Thing is unreal sometimes. Out there though get some chains and leave them in the trunk, you will never get stuck with them. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:16:29 PM by stuckinjersey » Logged

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 05:44:16 PM »

those are mud+snow tires I have on there now. Tim's forester got us around just fine last winter on a worn out set of Yokohama all seasons so I'm gonna see how it goes this winter with the mud/snows on it and then upgrade if I need to. This car is awesome, love it to death.

My Blog - Frigid Light

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 10:30:54 PM »

Day 2 of the road trip finds us 1557 miles into the trip to Montana in Worthington, MN. Tomorrow will take us to Devils Tower in WY and almost all the way to Bozeman. Sunday morning we'll show up in Bozeman. It's been a great, safe trip so far with the Subie stuffed full of my stuff and my 2 bikes on the roof. I'm averaging 23mpg @ 75mph. Some pictures from the trip.

Me driving, Dan taking pictures of a wind farm in southern Minnesota.

Sears/Willis Tower in Chicago this morning.

856 miles to go!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:32:33 PM by David Howland » Logged

My Blog - Frigid Light

Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 10:04:58 AM »

Tomorrow will take us to Devils Tower in WY

The first ascent route (can't remember the name) is an EASY 5.7 with straight forward route finding and simple and ample protection, either with nuts or mostly medium cams.  Rap descent -- take two ropes and some throw-away slings.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 10:26:02 PM »

We saw a couple guys climbing and I'll have the pictures I took probably tomorrow or the next day, depending on how long moving into the house takes. It looks like a great place to climb.

This is South Dakota. It all looks like this. The field on the right is sunflowers. Millions of them.

Subie at a rest stop in SD.

We're in Sheridan, WY tonight and will be in Bozeman tomorrow morning.

My Blog - Frigid Light

surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »

This is South Dakota. It all looks like this. The field on the right is sunflowers. Millions of them.

Mmmmm.
I have a 1 pack a day sunflower seed habbit.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »

I'll steal ya a few plants on the drive back in May surf.

I'm pretty well settled into the house now, which is huge and very close to campus. I'm working on getting internet access set up...but Qwest can't get here until Friday. I tethered my droid (why does that sound dirty?) and I'm now rocking a 1.5 megabit connection over my phone. It's been raining here since I got here, and we had some snow in the mountains this week. It's supposed to snow a little bit more next week, too, as temperatures will dip into the 30s overnight.

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 07:12:01 PM »

1.5mbps aint bad Dave.

I got a 10 meg service here at home, but damn for a phone, that beats the pants off 768k dsl

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: