Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2010 - 2011 Ski Season Thread: Bozeman, MT.  (Read 29860 times)
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 10:42:22 PM »

I did my first road ride with the MSU club team today...damn. There is no air here, and they have these things called hills which just killed me. Me and a girl from Clemens (SC?) got dropped climbing Gooch Hill (yes it really is called that) and then caught back up to the other two guys later. 30 miles in an hour and 45 minutes. I've either gonna be in great shape at the end of the year or dead. I tried to track the ride with the GPS on my phone but it died during the ride. Saturdays ride is up Beartooth pass which supposedly has 7000 total feet of climbing in 50-70 miles.

Todays ride.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 08:41:56 AM »

I'm missing the concept here.

You and girl from South Carolina got dropped on a hill climb and then you worked really hard to catch back up with the guys . . .

Flash-back:  1961, I was 18 with an MGA and she was the daughter of the campground owner where I was spending the night at White Lake, in South Carolina.  She worked really hard to convince me that Southern girls were hotter than Northern girls.  And, succeeded.  At least 'til I got back home to my steady.

So you and this South Carolina hottie got dropped, the guys are over the top and out of sight.  She's clearly an athletic outdoors type but at the moment she really needs to get off the bike take a stretch in the woods . . . and then you did what?

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 09:38:11 AM »

I'm jealous.  I've done alot fewwer road rides this year than I hoped to do at the begining of the summer.  Its just been so dang hot around here this year, its hard to get the motivation to hop on my  bike when its 95 degrees out. 

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 02:29:29 PM »

Tommy, I was struggling so much that staying on my bike was a serious issue, to say nothing about any extracurriculars in the woods. Plus there weren't woods to speak of, just wide open fields of low cut grass.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 10:36:30 AM »

Hi, David.

I'm Noora, Tommy T's granddaughter.  I am interested in going to MSU for ornithology.  I skied at Bozeman when Gramp was staying there and liked that a lot. 

I'm in sixth grade this year in a charter school called "International Academy of Cincinnati," so I have some time before making a final decision.

Noora

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 03:45:52 PM »

Hey Noora,
Glad to hear you're considering MSU. There are actually a ton of people from the Ohio area who go here. I love the school and Bozeman and the surrounding area is just awesome. Can't get much closer to the mountains and skiing. If you have any questions about the school or Bozeman or the "college search" in general, ask away.

My Blog - Frigid Light

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 04:47:02 AM »

Another bike ride...this time up Bridger Canyon and down Jackson Creek Road. The climb on Jackson Creek rated a Category 3. Cat 1 is the toughest, HC is Tour de France stuff. I got dropped off the back of the group twice on this ride, and caught up both times. I am slowly acclimating to the altitude here.

My Blog - Frigid Light

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »

Wooh! Finally summited Sacagawea.

GPS tracks

And summary stats for the trip up via GPS.

Total Distance: 3.73 km (2.3 mi)
Total Time: 1:33:25
Moving Time: 1:09:51
Average Speed: 2.40 km/h (1.5 mi/h)
Average Moving Speed: 3.21 km/h (2.0 mi/h)
Max Speed: 10.37 km/h (6.4 mi/h)
Min Elevation: 2380 m (7808 ft)
Max Elevation: 2956 m (9698 ft)
Elevation Gain: 602 m (1975 ft)
Max Grade: 35 %
Min Grade: -12 %
Recorded: Thu Sep 23 17:17:19 MDT 2010
Activity type: trail hiking

I hiked up to shoot the sunset and hopefully the moon, but had to leave before the moon/stars came out. The road up was fun, too...testing the ground clearance of my impreza. I only scraped with the side skirts once, right before the parking lot, on a seriously rocky, slanted, curving slope. Next money I spend on that car might be a 1" lift kit and skid plate.

Pictures...

Mountain Goats

Freakin awesome sunset

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 08:17:21 AM »

beautiful pics !!

I love the sunset texture, and the lighting on the goat shot.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »

Thanks! It was really cool hiking with the goats. Tucker and I came up on them at the top of the saddle...two of them moved away and one, we think it was the male, moved towards and kinda bucked his head and snorted. We backed off and chose a different trail up. The goats followed us, keeping a safe distance, all the way around the shoulder of the mountain and most of the way to the summit.

The moon setting over bridger this morning. you can see the new lift going up the center.

My Blog - Frigid Light

surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 08:57:37 PM »

The sunset is pretty incredible.  Did you use a filter or tweek it, or is that fore real? Dont think Ive seen the new water mark yet either.  I like it.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 07:40:30 PM »

Dave, looks fantastic brother! Im glad you got out west for school east coast shots just dont get that nice.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »

Thanks guys! I did post process the sunset photos but only to get them as close to what I remember seeing as I could. That's what I try to do with all my post processing...bring the photos as close to what I saw while I was there as possible.

My Blog - Frigid Light

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2010, 05:48:58 PM »

This saturday we floated the madison...3 hours floating on a river in the 80 degree cloudless sky and I am tanned as hell. Good hangover cure, too. But WTF. Seriously. This is supposed to be Montana. last year, ten days from now, I skied for the first time of the season. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about being able to bike and float and everything still, but seriously. Let's see some snow!

My Blog - Frigid Light

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 05:15:55 PM »

It's been snowing here for about 2 days now in the mountains, snow line is down to the flats

Bridger Base Area

I'm heading up to Bridger tomorrow for some hiking and skiing.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: