Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2010 - 2011 Ski Season Thread: Bozeman, MT.  (Read 29633 times)
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »

PICS are mandatory, at least 1

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »

Powder in October by Frigid Light Photography, on Flickr

Mountain on Fire by Frigid Light Photography, on Flickr

Sunset by Frigid Light Photography, on Flickr

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2010, 09:53:51 PM »

DROOL !

Lucky SOB U !

Thanks for the stoak.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 12:36:18 AM »

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »

cool shot Dave,
How did you do it?
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »

stopped down to about F4, six minute exposure, ISO800. The image is a little soft though, I think the manual focus on my lens leaves something to be desired.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 04:25:02 PM by David Howland » Logged

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 04:20:53 PM »

only 6 secs?

I didn't think the stars moved that much in 6 secs.

I would think you would use a low ISO, very high F #, set manual focus to infinite distance and use the bulb setting with a remote

Then again, I haven't tried it.

I'm curious to know the rational behind your settings, obviously your result came out as expected, nice job !

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »

yeah that was supposed to be six minutes...it's been fixed now.

I'm by no means an expert on this...but the amount of light coming out of the stars is actually not that much.  low f = large aperture which means shallow DOF. but the stars are far enough away that infinite focus makes it work. ISO you can play with...as well as aperture. I've got another idea for a shot that I want to take of the mountains and the stars and the city that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to stop down to make work. it's really fun/interesting playing with the settings and how they influence the amount of light and the amount of travel of the light in the picture.

My Blog - Frigid Light

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »

Big Sky this morning...

about a foot and a half of snow fell

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 06:36:22 AM »

Thanks for the good feelings this morning, its nice that its snowing over there at least.

Soon it will be here, I cant WAIT !

Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 07:38:11 AM »

Nice, it was tee shirt and sandal weather in ct this weekend.
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »

Oh, gotcha. That makes sense...my concern would be a camera battery not lasting for a 60 minute exposure or for the resulting ~60 minutes of processing time afterwards.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 02:46:28 PM »

For information purposes: the stars will appear to move through 15 degrees of arc per hour of exposure.  F-stop setting will not have a lot of effect on the brightness of the stars but will have a great effect on the brightness of the background.  You need to stop down enough to keep the eartly background and the sky glow from dominating the picture.

The stars themselves are a point of light slightly smeared out by atmospheric effects and by the fact that all optics are less that perfect.  The actual disk of the star, on a dark night with minimum moisture, which appears on the film is usually only a few arc seconds in diameter.  As a result, even if you expose for hours and hours, each pixel in your camera only gets illuminated by a specific star for a few seconds. 

It generally takes some experimentation to get the balance correct.  Most great star trail pictures showing arcs extending well across the sky above some famous landmark are composites.  One exposure for the star trails, another for the foreground.  That was true even with film techniques.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 09:57:16 PM »

Perfect day for a cyclocross race.

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »

I heard ur getting dumped on!!!
Grats, I love a good dump.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: