Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2010 - 2011 Ski Season Thread: Bozeman, MT.  (Read 29634 times)
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2011, 12:01:23 PM »

thanks! I wish I'd snapped from a slightly different angle so he wasn't so directly in front of the tree, but whatever.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2011, 01:49:58 PM »

Man looks like your having some fun out there! Very cool. Great pictuires.

Nice one!

I like this shot too. It is now the background at work my PC. Thanks
I like the angle you took here. It shows the pitch of the mountain background nicely. Much better than a strait on shot that tens to flatten the feel of the mountain.
I always find it hard to capture this angle most of the time. Were would you have liked to have been?

One suggestion I would offer is to try to get ahead of the skier in shots. That way they are not skiing off the photo.

Keep having fun out there.
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »

Back just a touch and downhill a little would have increased the contrast between the skier and background.  Then the shot would have looked like this:

Wink

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2011, 06:13:03 PM »

Is there a color version?

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2011, 02:19:38 AM »

I like the angle you took here. It shows the pitch of the mountain background nicely. Much better than a strait on shot that tens to flatten the feel of the mountain.
I always find it hard to capture this angle most of the time. Were would you have liked to have been?

I'm pumped you feel that way. Part of my goal this winter has been to break out of the traditional "bottom of the run looking up" mold that I've been stuck in and do some interesting stuff. I would have liked to have been a little uphill and a bit back, just like Tommy said. Maybe so the skier wasn't in front of the tree but rather a little downhill from it? I have an image in my head but I don't know if it's doable.

Surf...quickly edited:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:23:55 AM by David Howland » Logged

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »

Thats what I wanted to see.  I usually prefer B/W but IMO I think the brightly colored jacket contrasting with the tree makes this shot work a little better than the B/W version.  I like how the tree there kind of gives the shot a "north up" sense of vertical alignment.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2011, 11:48:48 AM »

I see what you mean...these shots were all really flat straight out of the camera so I just went B&W because that's what I've been doing lately.

Interesting comment on the tree too. Now that i'm looking at it I kinda feel like my horizon might be a little bit off.

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2011, 01:55:06 PM »

I think the image needs to be rotated more so te trees are more vertical

Free transform rotate to a vertical ruler guide then crop slightly.
Maybe work with the levels too

Great shot

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: March 03, 2011, 10:56:40 PM »

straightened, took another shot at editing it. Still not overly happy. It may just be a difficult, flat shot.

My Blog - Frigid Light

surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2011, 08:24:15 AM »

straightened, took another shot at editing it. Still not overly happy. It may just be a difficult, flat shot.

Mayb not perfect, but, If that was a picture of me I, it would be hanging on my office wall.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2011, 01:17:31 PM »

Here's a little rotate to make that tree more vertical and I B/W'd the shot on a top layer, and applied a layer mask over it to reveal the color skier below

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

Mayb not perfect, but, If that was a picture of me I, it would be hanging on my office wall.

I totally agree! Same here!
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2011, 08:53:22 PM »

thanks guys!

Tony, I'm gonna give that desaturated type effect a runthrough and see what I can do with alot of time (airplane flight whoo). I'm usually not a fan of the selective saturation look, but I think for this shot some degree of it might work.

Rode up the tram yesterday AM with the avy guys and skied Liberty Bowl down to the bottom of the Dakota lift. Coupla inches of untouched (no wind = rare) cold smoke on top of some wind-packed creamy base was beautiful. Hardly felt like work yesterday. I did take an awesome digger right under the lift though...patrol jacket and all.

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »

Sounds like a sweet run.

Classic patrol crash too  Cheesy

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2011, 12:32:48 AM »

Just got a call from my friend Scott in North Carolina to finalize our plans...He's driving out here in a couple days and we're gonna tour down in the western Tetons...Friday to Sunday trip, two nights in the backcountry heading to Table Mountain to take pictures and ski whatever we can.

Table mountain is the flat top peaked in the middle right of this photo. Supposedly the best scenery in the area what with the Grand and Middle nearby.

My Blog - Frigid Light

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: