Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2010 - 2011 Ski Season Thread: Bozeman, MT.  (Read 29644 times)
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »

Dave, stellar man. You are making the best with the flat terrain and crappy snow Montana is known for. Its not easy but someone has to do it.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2011, 06:00:22 PM »

We haven't heard much about academics this year, have we?  Some schools require you to attend classes as a pre-requisite to taking exams.

My oldest grand-daughter smacked a 98.2 percentile on her Medical College Admissions Test and has teaching English to kids who speak a Moroccan dialect called  الدارجة  at an oasis in the Sahara desert someplace East of Marrakesh on her public service resume.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »

Dave, stellar man. You are making the best with the flat terrain and crappy snow Montana is known for. Its not easy but someone has to do it.

I try.

Tommy, I've been going to class 5 days a week believe it or not. All my skiing this year has been weekend days. Making the best of a semester when I have to take alot of classes so that hopefully future semesters I can ski week days. Damn though! 98.2% on the MCATs? What school is she thinking of going to?

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2011, 08:14:08 PM »

All my skiing this year has been weekend days.
Me too, I think..

But shame on you Dave, shame.......... Que:"Pointer Finger Wave"

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2011, 09:15:26 PM »

Shame on me?

My Blog - Frigid Light

Sometimes you get more with honey than lemons but sometimes you need a chainsaw to cut down the tree where the honey is.
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2011, 10:07:27 PM »

What school is she thinking of going to?

Well, she's an undergrad at Dartmouth and I assume they'll try to keep her.  Her mother and I each did our grad work at Harvard and she was originally interested in research for which HMS would be ideal.  Now she is admitting that she always wanted to be a practicing MD, not a researcher, but didn't want to admit it to the family in case it didn't work out.  She's talking about family practice, maybe in a rural community, maybe a Native American or First Nation community.  For a family generalist the names get very different from what I am used to.  U.Washington is #1 and Oregon is #2 in that category in U.S. News ratings and she has mentioned both of them, so she is getting guidance from her Dartmouth faculty.

Our whole family is pretty down on U.S. politics and she has also mentioned Canada where she may get substantial financial aid with a commitment to work in First Nation communities.

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2011, 10:16:57 AM »

Shame on me?

Yeah, you need to get out on powder days mid week; snow comes first then school  Wink

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »

Yeah, you need to get out on powder days mid week; snow comes first then school  Wink

Ah, I see what you mean now Tongue

Well, I took tony's advice subconsciously to heart and patrolled today. 5" of cold smoke fell last night and early morning run checks were sublime. We ski cut the Mad Wolf cornice under bluebird skies with fresh snow.

Ski Cutting by Frigid Light Photography, on Flickr

Then it got real cold. I followed a couple of the pros around the mountain today and they showed me some stashes. Great Wednesday. Maybe there is something to this midweek pow thing.

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »

Enjoy these days man, what a college choice !!

A+

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2011, 07:17:24 PM »

About of a foot of heavy snow fell in town today. I woke up this morning and was totally surprised by the blizzard going on outside.

The tram was closed all day today and I'm gonna follow Tony's advice and skip class to ski tomorrow.

My Blog - Frigid Light

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »

Nice !!!
You are going to do it some time, might as well be after a dump  !!!

Waking up being surprised by an unexpected snowfall is my most favorite and memorable childhood memory

Be safe always, but considering this one is under my suggestion be EXTRA SAFE !

David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2011, 01:04:07 AM »

Big Sky was ok. The new snow really got baked in the sun today and had started to crust over. Still, got some awesome turns in. I'm heading out tomorrow for Jackson Hole for some skiing of Teton Pass on Friday and then heading in to Table Mtn on Saturday morning for an overnight. Can't wait!

My Blog - Frigid Light

Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2011, 08:38:56 AM »

Teton Pass -- I have special feelings for Mt. Taylor.

After you've skied out the peaks, remember that the line of the old pass road will take you all the way down to Wilson and the bar. 

Bill Briggs occassionally performs in that bar!!

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
David Howland
Backcountry Guide

findingnematoda
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2011, 11:42:35 PM »

Bailed on the nighttime drive over Teton Pass in a snowstorm. I'm heading out wicked early tomorrow morning. The Teton Pass webcams show the tracks of cars leaving the lot tonight are almost already filled in...pow day tomorrow?

My Blog - Frigid Light

Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2011, 08:44:16 AM »

Bailed on the nighttime drive over Teton Pass in a snowstorm. I'm heading out wicked early tomorrow morning. The Teton Pass webcams show the tracks of cars leaving the lot tonight are almost already filled in...pow day tomorrow?

You undoubtably know how to handle the situation, but just in case . . . .

Pow in the pass in the Tetons is a guarantee of avi danger in the 3 range with 4 on susceptible exposures and that wonderful invitation of Glory Bowl is one of the most famous terrain traps in North America.

Do it on the skier's left ridge and then go down and look back at your tracks in afternoon Sun from Wilson!!!

Tommy T.

PS: we've had 15 this week and another 13-18 forecast by the time Monday rolls around!!  Hiking above lifts, I won't go near the South exposures.  The Vail system report says "Spring is here but Winter didn't get the memo!"

-- Pablo Picasso
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: