Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Alcohol Stoves  (Read 2195 times)
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:13:49 PM »

I just ordered one of these.  It was pretty cheap ($20).  Granted, not as cheap as a pepsi can, but I havent had the any luck figuring out the pepsi can thing.  Maybe if I actually ever saw one in real life I would get it.
I know dave has some experience with these things, I cant wait to play with it.
http://www.whiteboxstoves.com/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 07:49:27 AM by surf88 » Logged

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 11:09:22 AM »

Looks like a good product. Sure you can make one but for 20 bucks... your time has value too. You could spend 2 hours or more making your first one or your could go out and hike or play.
I really like the little stove Dave has. It seems to be the lightest option also.
Let us know how you like it once you get it.

Big plus with not having to throw away used iso canisters also. 100% non waist I'm thinking.

The only down side I can think of is that I don't believe you can control the tempter and once it is on there is no off button. Both can be worked around with practice.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:34:28 AM »

I got the new stove yesterday and had a chance to boil my tea on it.  I love it!  Its made more heavy duty than a soda can, it seems like they used an aluminum aerosol can to make it,  it weighs 1 ounce!  Dave what do you use for storing your fuel?  And does cold weather significantly affect how the alcohol burns?

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 07:46:19 AM »

Did you get the Solo or the Classic?? I was checking out the website the other day, very cool. What kind of alcohol are ya using, maybe just use Vodka and then you can drink a little cook a little drink some more, cook some more, Wait! what did that stove just called you?? next thing you know, your fighting the stove but stove will burn ya!!! LOOK OUT! maybe alcohol and stove cooking don't mix.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 12:30:49 PM »

I got the classic.  The thing seems indestructible. I've been using HEET in the yellow bottle.

PS-vodka is like poison to me.  Yould think being polish I'd have the stuff in my blood, but its the one drink thats guarenteed to make me puke; even in moderation. Only one dirty martini for me and I'm done.  But keep the olives coming.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:14:16 PM »

And does cold weather significantly affect how the alcohol burns?

I don't think so.

Michael Covington liked to use kerosene stoves because the btu per oz. is higher than alcohol and it doesn't make your stove explode at high altitude like gasoline can (read "Hall of the Mountain King," for example).  Plus, you can fill your kerosene stove inside the snow cave or tent safely. (You can't breathe, but it won't explode.)  But, kerosene is hard to start so we carried little bottles of alcohol for primer.

Alcohol isn't adequate for cold weather, not because it burns differently but because it burns the same.  It's fine for a fondue but a bit short on power for melting ice and bringing it to a boil.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: