Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Afterwork Meadow Skipping on my Tele gear 1/14/11  (Read 1798 times)
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« on: January 14, 2011, 06:45:15 PM »

I went up to T-Rock after work today to make a few turns I lapped the field 4 times before my ears got too cold with only my baseball cap on (Check Out my Hat HaHa). 
1st run

There was about 2 inches of wind buff on top of about a foot of consolidated dry powder, that and the low angle made tele turns almost to slow, so I made parallel turns the next run.

Climbing up the low angle slope with kick wax instead of skins was the shizz.  Kick Wax Rules!

I also loved the new to me BD Havocs and the T3's combo for this kind of stuff

My 4 laps

Not an epic TR but Local Turns are always my Fav.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 09:26:20 PM by surf88 » Logged

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 08:35:44 PM »

Cool dude !

I want to get out and try my Tele gear so bad, but without a lesson I think I'll just develop bad habits.
Would you suggest I go out and try.

I've watched some instructional videos on introduction to technique, and the Tele Stance.

Looks like you are sliding on about 6", is that all you got?

We got close to 24" and it makes local "NON steep" skiing difficult.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »

The official total for goffstown was 18".  This area gets alot of wind, and its been really windy since the storm, drifting and pounding away at the snow.  Some spots were almost bare, and some spots were 3 feet deep. Some spots were fluffy and some spots the top layer was wind buff almost  hard enough to stay on top of.  It was almost as hard to turn in the wind buffed areas as the wet concrete we found in GoS last spring.  As for developing bad habits;  whats a few more? parrallel turns on tele gear are fun too.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 09:54:25 AM »

Nice-

I like the hat by the way, I think we should all get hats like that for the next TUX trip
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »

Yeah, I noticed the hat too, I think I've seen it before but maybe not.
It could be that Jan looks so natural with that name on his head.

Jan,
Hate to Hijack this thread but you started it with Tele stuff  Grin

I bought the skis and bindings mounted at a swap.
I bought the boots online : 27.5 in size.

It looks like the heal plate is placed in the right place when I put them on, but I have no idea what is correct so I'm no judge.
It seems the cables are a little too loose, I know I can spin the carts to increase tension, when is enough?
I can send some pics over for you to look at if you want.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »

It seems the cables are a little too loose, I know I can spin the carts to increase tension, when is enough?
I'm totally not a tele expert at all maybe Tommy or Eric know

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 07:40:33 PM »

I'm totally not a tele expert at all maybe Tommy or Eric know

Somebody who tele's a whole lot will develop a balance between cable tension, boot stiffness and pivot point which feels right for their style and may actually get quite argumentative about the fine points of flexibility versus control, etc.

For the rest of us, the purpose of the cable is to hold the boot in the toe piece under all circumstances.  The cables should lock in past the cam point with a solid snap and you should have no ability to move the boot back in the toe piece with normal mortal hand and arm strength.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

Thanks Tommy, I'll give that a try.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: