Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Hartford - Collinsville Backcountry  (Read 5697 times)
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 28, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »

We were fortunate enough to receive some snow; our first storm of the season and it was a good one.

In New Hartford we received at least 12", its hard to say how much exactly because we had tremendous winds which loaded and unloaded snow from everywhere.
Some spots in my yard were blown clean to the grass while others had over 2'.

I happen to be fortunate enough to have an understanding wife who took care of Jonathan while I was away playing in the snow.
I got away yesterday and took a chance on the man made un-natural hills created by a land owner in town who sold the earth and stone, and now wants to sell it as a retail location.
New Hartford doesn't need any more retail space, literally next door a renovated factory turned retail space is still looking for new tenants.
I'm happy the factory was remodeled but these other location is too much.

Long story short, I'm trying to enjoy it as much as I can, and every season we get one storm where poaching its slopes becomes possible.
The good news is that this development has been "in the works" for over 6 years.

Gear Check (first outing of the season = gear collection)

I was bumming about my missing red candle lantern and didn't know where it was after my last BC outing, but yesterday I found it.
It was in my ski boot along with an extra axe leach I use to tether my skis when in A frame mode.

First turns of the day and season, I can't complain

I took two laps on this slope which looks out over Rt44, today you can still see them while driving by; I love that

Closer, you can see the two lines, one lookers left near the pine trees just to the lookers left of the obvious in-sight line

Because the coverage was better than I expected I headed out to Sweatheart Mountain ( old Collinsville CT ski area - See NELSAP )
I skinned to the top right from my car and did the usual tour I take and enjoyed some low angle dry pow turns, I took three runs on the "usual" which were stellar.
Very floaty and very NE BC ish, i was totally stoaked, and headed back up for some "adventure" into some other areas less known.

I found a safe rock free wide open glade with untracked pow from top to bottom, and literally took it straight to my car.
I wanted a second run in the new found glade but the sun was setting and my son needed his next meal.

The light was already cast as it faces east so I didn't take any pics except for my exit track to the car here:

Great times these past two day, lets just hope for more, it can only get better.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 07:39:21 AM »

Thanks for the invite jackhole!! 

I made some turns too, I have to turn to get stuff off my printer and then turn back to my computer. 

Very jealous, I actually was expecting your phone call you love to make, I'm skiing and your at work haha.
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 08:20:56 AM »

I knew you were working lol.
You got out and did some exploring ? Nice !
Can't wait to see what you got.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 08:21:34 AM »

If the snow holds, the new place I found at Sweetheart mtn should have plenty to play with.

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:45:38 PM »

I found a pic from the first time I skied this place.
The trees were much smaller then huh?

Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:24 AM »

I think the trees are about the same size but due to global warming there isn't as much snow this year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: