Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Boots and rout up?  (Read 2514 times)
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »

Hay guys, I hope some of you got up there this weekend. IÂ’m heading up there next weekend with Mark and am wondering two things.

1) I have hiked up Hillmans and right gully so far, I hope to hike up left gully up and over. Not to ski down. Just want to hike up some steep snow. Other suggestions are welcome too.

2) Do I bring my winter hiking boots (North face insulated soft hiking boot) or my summer Asolo hiking boots? Winter ones may be over kill but they do have a stiffer sole for use with the crampons. My crampons adjust to both boots. They are CAMP aluminum type. Not for heavy use but have work well for me.

If I bring my summer boots IÂ’ll bring my winter camping socks if needed. If I bring my winter boots IÂ’ll wear only sock liners or my mountain biking socks.

Your thoughts?
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »

Your feet might get wet, but I'd opt for the Asolos and gators if you are just hiking, but what are you going to hike down?
Lion's Head?  or Boot Spur?

Rage and Cosmic just climbed hillmans and skiied down LG so they would be the best to answer this question.

I was off the team for the weekend....

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
cosmic
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »

I don't think you will have a problem at all with summer hiking boots as long as they are waterproofed. If you can use them with crampons great, otherwise you could just climb the boot ladder. We saw lots of people going up LG in a variety of footwear. Personally I love having the crampons on, but I think I would be comfortable without as long as I had an axe with me.

LG had snow top to bottom as did hillmans but if you are looking for a new route left gully is great. It was way more crowded than hillmans since it is the only top to bottom run in the bowl (unless you are freakin nuts - we did see someone go over the lip  Shocked) I will be curious to see the changes in one week.

Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 12:24:49 PM »

Ok cool. The AsoloÂ’s have yet to fail me with water protection and are much lighter than the winter ones.

We will likely hike down LionÂ’s Head. Boot spur may be tricky with the big rocks and the angle. We will likely avoid WashingtonÂ’s summit now that the auto road is open. Maybe skirt around the top or go over to Lake of the Clouds. There is a nice pool there that may be good for pictures if the weather is kind.

The weather dose not look good for the weekend but that may change.

Thanks for the info.
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 08:53:24 AM »

Which weekend are you heading up?  My wife and I are planning to hike up next friday the 27th in the evening and stay over that night.  I'm not sure if I'm bringing my board yet.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »

We are heading up tonight.
Sorry I can not go next weekend I would have liked to meet Mrs. Surf.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: