Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Running/Hiking  (Read 1296 times)
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« on: June 14, 2011, 07:22:33 AM »

One of my favorite training things to do is run from my house up Mountain Road to the trailhead on North Uncanoonuc and then Hike up and over the backside and then run back home.  Its a total suffer fest for me. 
I did it yesterday.
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/13468286

The begining of the white dot hiking trail is fairly steep and the transition from running to hiking is really hard for me because my shins get really tight.  Anybody got any good stretches I can do quickly to loosen up for or during the transition.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
p1fiend
Mountaineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »

It's nice having local trails for training so close.

As for stretching out the shins, I've lately started to incorporate trail running into my sunday hikes, and have found on breaks I'm often flexing and extending my feet more often.

This past Sunday on the last view point of the hike I stopped to make a call (booooo! no calls on the trail! - I had to confirm father day plans is my excuse) and found myself sitting on a rock with my legs outstretched, flexing/pointing my toes out then extending the foot at the ankle, bringing the toes to the calf.

Flexing/extending is a basic stretch that does work the shins.  You can do it standing (lift the leg) or sitting.  Scrunching up the toes when you flex also helps isolate the shins.

Standing you can put your foot behind you, placing the top of your foot on the ground, bending the ankle the wrong way essentially.  Or brace yourself against a tree as if to stretch the calf, but bend both knees.

Just curious, how often do you go out and train/run?

I’ve always had a dislike for running and the pounding of pavement, but I’m starting to enjoy it on the trail.  The heightened sense of speed thru the woods is amazing compared to even a fast hiking pace. 

I’m working on improving my footwork (it’s quite fun trying to run on loose boulders and traprock) and building up my endurance, which after my most recent “training” outing, I feel is progressing well.

My biggest problem is pain in my outer hips the next couple of days.  I’m pretty sure I’ve gotten a nice bit of bursitis in my outer hips back towards my buns.  Ibuprofen helps and I’ve been icing it, but I think the one day a week I get out just isn’t enough to get me used to the pace I push myself at.  Daily stretching (of the IT band area) helps a lot and I’m incorporating more stability and core exercises back into my workouts.  I also need to start stretching before my hikes - I think this is one of my biggest prblems, as I usually hop out the car and hit the ground running.

Here’s my latest hike from this past Sunday, on my new preferred local training area. Trail is in yellow, it’s out and back

My GPS tracklog said 10.2 miles in a moving time of 2:47, total time of 3:14.  This is down from a total time of 3:30 the last time I did the hike two weeks ago with no GPS and no camera.  This time around I stopped for waypoints and some photo ops I wanted to fool with. 

All around pretty stoked with my time, but my new goal is to cover the 10.2 miles or so in 2:30.  Gotta push!

Long Days and Pleasant Nights   http://www.timstripstoday.shutterfly.com/
p1fiend
Mountaineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:11:29 PM »

All around pretty stoked with my time, but my new goal is to cover the 10.2 miles or so in 2:30.  Gotta push!

Mission accomplished!

So I went out last Friday (the 15th, when it wasn’t so darn hot!) after work to my training area loaded with dinner with the intentions of hiking ~3.5 miles out then turning back to sit up top the cliffs and relax with the sunset.

Decided to run as hard and as much as possible to one area and making good time decided to continue to run/push to my turnaround point.  I made it out in record time (48 mins vs 53 mins old time) and from there decided to go for broke and see what the legs would do.

Made it to the end (halfway) in 1:08 and turned around for the trip back.

I’ve been working on fixing my posture (upper, lower – they’re all crossed!) and my hiking/running stride.  Definitely was using more glutes and calves instead of hip flexors and quads and my calves started to really spasm for the first time ever.

I got less than 0.5 miles to the car and the calves locked up, I stopped, and collapsed onto my back, legs up, holding my calves in a fetal position, while the deer and squirrels laughed at me.  It must have been a sight to see!

After I got up, my GPS time was 2:13 and there was no way I wasn’t meeting my goal after giving so much already.

I hobbled along and slowly the calves loosened to let me hit a light trot and as my body would have it, made it back in a moving time of 2:23, with only 11 mins stopped over ~10.1 miles (loading it onto Mapsource it says 10.4 and the profile says 10.6…who knows?)

The next few days weren’t as painful as I thought, did a lot of icing and stretching and light walking.

Never felt such a sense of personal accomplishment in meeting a fitness goal, but it came at a price in pushing my body too far.

Gotta train more now to make it easier and easier!

I figure the pain will make the fun hikes more pleasurable, just gotta take a break from training and enjoy nature sometime though!

Long Days and Pleasant Nights   http://www.timstripstoday.shutterfly.com/
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »

Cool. 
I always tell myself "the more it hurts this time, the less it will hurt next time" 
I'm slowly starting to be able to run again on flats, I cant wait to start burning up some trails again.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: