Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Definitely in the PAIN Category  (Read 1739 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »

Our lake has a fair population of Redear Sunfish.  That's a big pan fish, like a blue gill, that gets up above 10 inches pretty regularly.  I fish for them with a one-weight flyrod.

Yesterday, I was doing just that and managed to snag the hook on a #10 nymph into the middle finger on my right hand (of course I'm right handed).

Fortunately, I bend the barbs down, or break them clear off, on my flys but there is often still a bit of backward pointing barb or at least big rough spot.  This hook was just bent down and an initial effort to pull it out suggested that the bend was more lip service to the concept than an effective reduction of the hook's holding power.

I fish with my vest on because it has everything from fly floatant to line clippers and, fortunately, a good pair of Orvis forceps.  Using the forceps, I pushed the hook on through my finger until the point came out.  Got ahold of the point and pulled it on through until the remains of the barb was clear and then cut hook.  That made it easy to pull it back through the way it came in. 

Back in the house, I openned both ends of the puncture a little bit with a needle and gave them a good dose of hydrogen pyroxide and am hoping for the best infection wise.  I'm out about 30 hours now and there is still some reddnes and a bit of tenderness but no sign of pus.

I was probably five years old when my father told me how to do that.  I really never expected that my first actual practice would be left-handed on myself.    Grin

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »

OMG, that was a painful read

Must of hut like hell

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 06:19:03 AM »

As a kid I got a fly hook stuck in my thumb while tying it to a leader,  luckily did not have to push it through.  Thanks for no pics
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:48 AM »

ouch.  i did that once with a large ocean fishing hook.  I tryed to pull it out, but the barb wouldnt come back out. I had to push it all the way through and cut the eye off to pull it out.  It never got infected.  Good Luck.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 07:50:49 AM »

Outch!
My folks do a kid fishing derby for all there grandkids. This year one of the oldest boys (13) hooked the back of his right hand. His dad tried to get it out and was going to push it through but got out voted by his wife. So he took the boy to the ER were he spent a few hours there. The Dr there tried also to pull the hook back out but the barb prevented this of course. The doctor did not like the idea of pushing it through and in the end the father was given clean tools to do it himself on his boy. Not sure why the doctor did not like the idea but it came out with no healing problems.
How did it all heal up for you Tommy?
stuckinjersey
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »

Ouch tommy. My mother no longer fishes with her boyfriend after he hooked her in the back of the head fishing. It was quite a catch!! Such a dangerous sport.

Well if you snooze, you loze? Then I guess I snoost and lost!!!!
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »

Ouch tommy. My mother no longer fishes with her boyfriend after he hooked her in the back of the head fishing. It was quite a catch!! Such a dangerous sport.

Oh my.  Before we were married, my wife and I fished for carp with bow and arrow.  Scarry thoughts.

My wounds healed fine.  I have two tiny white spots where the hook went in and out but even that will be gone pretty soon.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:37:58 PM »

I almost choked on my food when I read this

Love your stories josh

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narciĀ­ssists an opportunitĀ­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: