Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Triathlon  (Read 1500 times)
jjj4762
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

Hi guys,

Long time since I caught up with you all.  Tomorrow is the last Winding Trails event I will be attending this season (there is one more on Tuesday Aug 16 but I can't make that one).  It would be great to see some of my BCA friends. 

On a related note, for the last 4 or 5 months I have been training for a Half Ironman.  The race consists of a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike, and a 13.1 mile (half marathon distance) run.  Race date is August 21 up in Gilford, NH - Lake Winnapasaukie region.  The training has definitely been keeping me busy and I am both looking forward to the event and looking forward to being done with it.  Anyhow, I really enjoy the triathlon sport and wanted to share, although none of this will be done in the "backcountry" unless I get horribly lost during my race.   

atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »

Impressive Jason, good to  hear  your keeping active out there; regardless of where.

I had aspirations to train for an event at WT this summer but things are just still way to hectic right now.

Good luck on the 21st, make sure to let us know how you did.

Tell Ash I said hello too.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Dsmith3232
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 07:41:24 AM »

Nice Jason! Good luck on your personal challenge!
I was hoping to be able to do a Winding trails race this summer. I have been training off and on but I have also let things get in the way of truly dedicating myself to training. (Kids, fixing up and selling my house, and simply laziness at times)  The big problem I have been having is the swim. I have never been a swimmer but want to learn how the best I can. I tried a bunch of times to self learn how to swim for distance. I only have been able to get up to 5 minutes of swimming without stopping. I think I try to go too fast and need to slow down my movements.
The running and biking I can still do and have been keeping up with but the swim part is just been a challenge I have not been able to practice enough. I simply want to be able to swim for 30 minutes without stopping. A task that I have fallen short on but will keep trying every time IÂ’m able to get in the water.

I highly respect the amount of training and time it takes for these types of events. May times it is all about sacrificing time and giving up the opportunity to do other things that one may need or want to do. The human body can be pushed to amazing extremes but only with the sacrifice and dedication of “putting in the time”. Much respect to you and your fellow races. Good luck and I hope you have a blast!
jjj4762
Backcountry Guide

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »

Thanks guys. 

D, I only started racing last summer, and at the time I decided to compete for the first time, I also had a great deal of trouble swimming for extended periods of time.  I could swim pretty much indefinitely with the breast stroke, but I was gasping for air in no time with the crawl.  I took a handful of lessons, but the biggest thing there was practice teaching your body to relax and take good full breaths of air.  Truth is that breathing is still an area of improvement, but as you said, practice is really the primary key.  Finding the time though...that can be tough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: