Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: LOUD SNOW! Advice from the Utah Avalanche Center  (Read 872 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2013, 01:24:53 PM »

Sometimes, when swishing through freshie after freshie in fine new powder as the reward for a long climb, the sensation is one of silently commuing with mountain in a state of mutual respect.  Other times, the board slices through virgin surface with a swish or sizzle that reminds me of a wind surfer doing 30 knots on the trade winds off Aruba.

THE DIFFERENCE IS IMPORTANT FOR MORE REASONS THAN ARE APPAREANT TO THE RIDER IN THE MOMENT!

This little paragraph comes from the Utah Avalance Center's web site this morning:

The phrase "loud powder" can be a clue to future snowpack stability. "Loud powder" is actually the state of the surface snow after it has deteriorated into a "faceted" snow grain form and/or often contains surface hoar as well. This snow condition "hisses" under your skis or snowboards like "ssshhhhhhhh" when you carve through it. It is also "slippery" underfoot when walking uphill with climbing skins. Anytime you note this on your travels, you should stop and log it in your memory as to where it is present as this can turn into a persistent weak layer which can be very dangerous once it gets buried with new snow.

It's another example of why following the snow trends for the whole season is one of the most important things that a back country skier or boarder can do.  

Tommy T.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 04:18:56 PM by Tommy T » Logged

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »

Good points, and it makes sense reading through this.

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »

Ive only seen surface hoar that looks like the kind they get in utah once on Mt Washington, and even still the formations were not nearly as large as what regularly forms in the wasatch. 

Loud powder mean something completely different on the east coast. We use at as a euphemism for the offensive "I" word.  Cheesy

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: