Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pats Poach 2013  (Read 1108 times)
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« on: April 10, 2013, 09:44:12 AM »

Pabst Peak always closes for the season on Easter.  Even when they are still 100%.  On one hand its disappointing as a seasons pass holder that loves spring skiing, but on the other hand it makes for some pretty sweet local earned turns.  Yesterday after work I skinned up on Alpine Touring gear.  The snow was perfect peel-away corn.  Peel-away is firm packed corn that is soft for the top inch or so. The corn on top becomes discolored from melt water and dirt in the air, when you make your turns it peels away the top layer revealing the bright white snow underneath, short swing turns look pretty in peel-away.
Air temps were in the 60's yesterday so I skinned up in shorts and t-shirt.

Crossing a crevasse

I had the summit all to myself

The ride down was plush. However I learned that twin tip skis and shorts do not mix well, because the rear tip is constantly throwing snow up on your legs when you swing your turns.

Tracks

I was able to ski top to bottom with full coverage down Twister, and Turbulence Park.  I was even able to get a little air off one of the kickers in the park, but I was pretty conservative since I didn't have my helmet, and I had a lot of bare skin showing.  Hopefully I'll be able to get back up here again before it all melts.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »

Nice, do you park in the parking lot?

Atruss and I are supposed to poach his local mtn afterwork today but its always like a scene from mission impossible.  We park down the road, skins are already on the skis before they leave the car and we try be very sneaky until we get out of sight of the base lodge/maint bldgs. 

Kudos on the shorts and tee, i might be skinning/skiing in my work clothes.  Button down and dress pants. 
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »

Sitting in the chair on the lift without paying might be theft of services under local law. 

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Rage
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Beer Thirty

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »

BOOOOOOO!!!      Well the poaching patrol was out in full force yesterday and our sneakiness did not payoff.  Not wanting to get into a heated argument since we knew the outcome would have been the same, we respectfully left with our tails between our legs.  The best part is, that we got nabbed by an employee that had punched out for the day and was returning to the mtn after going for a run.  That guy should be employee of the month. 

Damn you RUNDOWN
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:35:13 AM »

Pats Peak and Crotched are almost the exact same distance from my house.  If I were to go to corporate owned crotched they would kick me out.  They are intolerant of uphill traffic and post season use.  Pats Peak has a completely different atmosphere.  I can walk by the occupied main office with my skis on my shoulders and skin up right in front of there window with out a word.

The family like atmosphere is why I buy a seasons pass to pats and not crotched in spite of crotched being an overall  better mountain with faster lifts.  I usually only go to Crotched once a year, and that's for midnight madness when they are open to 3am.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 09:11:12 AM »

Lot of memories here!

Crotched is where I got my first snowboard injury -- in the Spring of '86, I broke an ankle racing a middle school ski coach who had insulted me.  We ran parallel gates and he was on my back side.  I got out in front and couldn't see where he was.  After the last gate I looked back over my shoulder, caused a rotation and caught my front edge.  I felt bone break, but I rolled back up and took a quick turn onto a connector road and, once out of sight, basically collapsed with the pain.  I slowly worked back to car and drove home.  Got my first two screws from that one.

SunDown is where I took a clinic and got my telemark teaching certification from EPSTI (quickly defunct "Eastern Professional Ski Touring Instructors").  That certificate was worth a lot more than the instruction that I got -- Ragged would honor me as a pro and I skied and rode there for free.  I showed it at the ticket window at J'Hole once and got a pass for $10.  NATO ("North American Telemark Organization") was the real thing and quickly squeezed EPSTI out of the picture.

(Memories are nice, but I'll stay happier west of the Mississippi.  I think that I'll do Park City and Brighton passes for next season (I've got the Park City one already) -- I getting tired of criticizing Sn'brd and Brighton has some interesting back-country access, night skiing (which my grandson's love) and it is situated high in Big Cottonwood where it regularly pulls in the good powder.  It's a Boyne resort now, and I generally have found Boyne management to be pretty good.  (Big Sky is the big Boyne out here; I know that they now have several Northeast areas in their quiver including Loon and Sunday River.  (Unlimited 70+ ticket for day and night is going for $299.))

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 06:32:43 AM »

-Old school crotched was great, lots of memories from my early teens there.  Closed crotched was a lot of fun too, I earned turns there every year when they were closed.  New crotched has small man syndrome, they try to act like a bigger resort so they can charge bigger resort prices.

-My sister who lives in AF chooses to buy a Brighton Pass every year over all the other options within a similar distance.  She loves BCC. I've only been once and it was early season conditions, but it looked like there was a lot of fun options in the area.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:38:22 PM »

Its that time of year when I start thinking about hopping on my bike when I have a couple hours of free time, but I just cant stand the thought of letting all that snow on the mountain go to waste.  So once again I reached for the skis instead of the bike.  Overnight friday into saturday about an inch of new manky snow fell.  There was fresh tracks to be had so I headed up to the hill.  Apparently I was not the only person with that idea, because there were several other people already on the mountain when I go there.  I skinned up Twister and then Dropped down the other side of the hill on Tornado. Tornado was fun because half of it was bumped up with moguls.  The soft snow made me look and feel like a pro on the moguls.

Tornado has some nice steep sections on it

I skied down to the bottom of Tornado and then skinned up Duster to the top.
The weather was partly cloudy, so it would be bright and sunny one minute and then grey and gloomy the next, but the views were nice.  I skied down Twister for my second and last run.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: