Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: G2 Climbing Skins  (Read 1884 times)
Teladancer

View Profile Email
« on: April 25, 2013, 09:14:45 PM »

I have an old pair of G2 climbing skins(12 yrs): Is there a way to rejuvenate the Hydrophobic quality of the skins?(spray product???) They are still usable but on a warm day they pick up a bit of water weight
Thanks
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »

If you find something let me know.  I almost wonder if since they are nylon a product for re waterproofing a rain coat like nikwax would work?  I always add a new layer of glue to my skins before my first spring trip.  I haven't ever stripped off the old glue yet after 6 seasons but its starting to get kind of thick, with lots of pine needles fossilized in it. 
My ski skins have tail clips so glue never seems to be an issue, but my splitboard skins once they get saturated forget about it, it takes a roll of duct tape to keep em attached.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Teladancer

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »

the tail clips have saved me on numerous occasions.... and I keep a fresh role of duct tape in the pack... I have been thinking about the waterproofing either 3M or Nixwax.... I'll post the results
Thanks!
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 07:12:30 PM »

NicWax makes a ski skin water repellent.  I've used it to avoid ice build up in the fuzzy stuff on transition type days.

Are you actually absorbing water in the base material of the skin or is it ice build-up that melts in the back of the van?

(Tail clips -- mandatory -- I even ground a notch in the tail of the skis to keep them from slipping sideways -- I always have duct tape, even when just snowboarding in-bounds.)

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:00:07 PM »

NicWax makes a ski skin water repellent.  I've used it to avoid ice build up in the fuzzy stuff on transition type days.

Are you actually absorbing water in the base material of the skin or is it ice build-up that melts in the back of the van?

(Tail clips -- mandatory -- I even ground a notch in the tail of the skis to keep them from slipping sideways -- I always have duct tape, even when just snowboarding in-bounds.)

Tommy T.

I was just thinking NixWax ( I thought it was spelled with an "x" but I'm guessing here ), TeleDancer, I feel your pain, I've been off on soggy snow for a tour only to literally hike back cause my skis and skins wouldn't get along anymore... It sucks !

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: