Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Beehive Trail-Acadia NP  (Read 2439 times)
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« on: May 05, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »

x-posted from my site
The guide books make this trail sound super sketchy but it really isnt nearly as bad as they make it sound.  It is a very steep climb with scrambles across narrow ledges but it is made safe by iron rungs that have been attached to rocks.  After reading the guide books I thought twice about climbing it alone but after doing it I would not hesitate to recomend going it alone to an experienced hiker.  I hiked up the Beehive starting at 8 in the morning and I didnt see one other person on the hike.
Right now the Park Loop Rd is mostly closed off by gates due to funding cuts imposed by "The Sequester"  This has actually made the park a better place to be because there are few visitors and fewwer visitors that are willing to walk on the roads to access parts of the park like cadillac mountain.  In fact right now is probably the best time ever to bring a road bike to the park and cycle the park loop road or bike up Cadillac mountain with no cars to deal with.
The Beehive isnt very big but it is very steep

Looking up:

Looking Down:

There are some traverses over narrow ledges:

I tried to take a self shot on this ledge but I couldnt get the ledge in the shot very good:

The view from the top was pretty amazing: (The closest car in the lot is mine)

I even found a good place to do my favorite trick, it was hard to find a flat rock that I could set my camera on though.

I hiked down the back side of the mountain and back around through an area called "the bowl".  I spooked up a deer at one point that went crashing off through the woods. But besides that I didnt see anyone else until I got back to the road.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
atruss
Backcountry Elite*
Backcountry Guide

Ntrenttt
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »

Thats the coolest hike I've seen !

I think I've figured out Facebook's major appeal. It offers uber-narci­ssists an opportunit­y to have their proverbial 15 minutes every five f------g minutes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: