Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Monadnock 12/1  (Read 636 times)
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« on: December 05, 2013, 10:12:21 AM »

Went up to see if I could find another point of interest on Monadnock today.  It was nice but it wasn't as cool as the Pumpelly Cave

The Eagles Nest

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »

Nice work.

If you want to continue to generate motivation for beating around on Monadnock, get of copy of Thoreau's Journal (probably through multiple visits to the library as it is in something like 14 volumes and quite expensive, even in new editions).  It is his log/diary of wanderings and thinkings from around 1830 to about 1870 and includes lots of references to Monadnock.  Thoreau's family had a pencil mill in Acton, MA, about 1/3rd of a mile from where I lived for 30 years while practicing law in Boston.  There was a graphite mine on Monadnock, on a ridge above the Half-Way House and the Thoreau managers probably purchased material from it -- Henry David was likely the go-between from time to time.  Try to identify and find as many of the features, campsites and look-outs as you can.  (I have identified two with some degree of certainty and a lot of help from an old AMC publication -- the two are a camp site and a nearby look-out.)

This could be a lifetime project. 

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »

I sought out that graphite mine location several years ago after seeing it on an old map , and found it.  Not much to see, but its interesting to know the history.  Ive found quite a few features noted on old maps but have never compiled a list of to-do's and done's. Being interested in Geology, I think Billings fold is one of my favorite natural features. The vertical cracks are fun to free climb too.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:33:38 AM by surf88 » Logged

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: