Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Snowboarding 2013/14 -- Observations on Park City and Brighton  (Read 5160 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2014, 05:15:41 PM »

My Park City package included some passes for Alta and I do still own a pair of tele's.  Last night I coated the bases with some flouride wax for wet conditions and this morning I headed up to Alta for the first time in about 10 years and for the first and last day on skis this season.

It's Friday, the 2nd of May.  Park City is closed; Brighton is closed; Alta is open (just two lifts running) today, tomorrow and Sunday.  Today was a beauty.  Vacation season is way over, working people are working, and a few of us were waiting for the first lift just before 9:00 am at the bottom of Alta's Collins lift.

Alta is reporting over 100" of base still on the ground and the limited number of trails served by the two lifts that are still running looked more like February 2nd than May.  The groomers were pretty solid for the first run but softened up quickly and were pretty good by about 10:30.  Off-piste, things weren't so good for me on tele's with mostly a breakable crust -- I suspect that my board would have stayed on top but the tele's tended to break through when turning -- so I mostly cruised the groomers.

Weather was perfect for pictures and this panorama of the Alta high country certainly shows why people like Alta in the winter.  Everything in this picture is in-bounds at Alta.  Most of it is not lift served to the tops.  It's an area that gives those who are good off-piste, but who are not working the back country for whatever reason, a super dose of what earning turns and playing in the wilderness is about.

Frankly, just in terms of winter beauty and skiing ideals, that picture show that Alta is just about "it."

Well, deep knee bends on 71 year old legs takes its toll and on my tele skis it sure hits earlier in the day than it does when I'm just rocking back and forth between toe and heel edges.  This last shot, may be the last snow shot of the season, is headed back down to base, looking down canyon across some of the little town that is Alta.

(Of course it's not the last lift ride -- still got that 1/2 mile long horizontal rope tow at the bottom to get to where I started and where my van still is.  Alone on a Long Traverse at Alta.)

Tommy T.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:41:49 AM by Tommy T » Logged

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »

9" at Alta yesterday afternoon and through the night into this morning.

Linda and I were spending the night at the Silver Fork Lodge in Big Cottonwood Canyon where we attended another of their wonderful wine pairing diners -- this one lasted through five courses each of which featured a different Chilean wine complementing Chilean style food dishes with running commentary by a Salt Lake City based wine consultant who has been working with several Chilean vinyards to increase their North American market presence.  We woke up (at about 10 am) to massive snow-flakes in the air, about 3" of accumulation on the car and bare pavement thanks to warm ground temperatures and air temps just above freezing most of the night.

(And I thought that we bought out here because of the great boarding!)

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2014, 01:49:29 PM »

The weather prof. at U of U says that this week may be the last of this winter.

Tommy T.

(I don't have the heart to pass on the NWS climate forecasts for New England next winter  Sad )  (Besides, it's way too early to rely on them for making vacation plans -- I've found that they get pretty accurate on the outlook for the coming winter around August and September.)

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 10:44:27 PM »

An American magpie nesting in the sycamore tree in our Utah back yard.  

Linda and I were born and lived in Indiana through our college days -- the state tree is the sycamore.  The fact that there is one in our back yard in Salt Lake City strikes me as unexpected, but we've lived in Massachusetts far longer than we did in Indiana and we're into our second decade in Texas.  The tree has nothing to do with why we bought this property.

The American magpie is definitely a bird of the North West.  Its range is mostly west of the Continental Divide and extends North from Utah and Western Colorado to the arctic.

Along the river in Bend, Oregon, may have been the first place that we shared living space with them.

Tommy T.

And, two days later on a sunny Sunday, this big male dropped down to visit us in the grass in the front yard:

What a beauty!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:42:17 PM by Tommy T » Logged

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »

The Alta-Collins weather/snow monitoring station shows that Alta has dropped below a 100 inch base this week.

The two college girls who are renting the house next door to us are sunbathing in their front yard wearing very small bikinis -- the blonde in bright pink, the brunette in an attractive orange.

I guess it's time for a blog on snow-boarding to shut-down.

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2014, 05:14:24 PM »

I guess it's time for a blog on snow-boarding to shut-down.

OR MAYBE NOT!!

This is the view West from the Paradise Visitors' Center at Mt. Rainier on Monday morning, June 16th, at about 7am:

Tommy T

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 08:15:05 PM »

Today we left SLC and headed for Texas. 

We stopped in Park City for brunch at a wonderful little Parisian Cafe and when we came out:

June 17, 2014: 

IT WAS SNOWING IN PARK CITY AT 1 PM -- A LIGHT GRAPPLE -- ENOUGH TO CLEAR FROM THE WINDSHIELD !!!

Tonight we're in the NW corner of Colorado, poised to make a relaxed trip home, south of the bad weather and north of the Gulf heat.

What a great way to end the season.

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »

Alta got 12 inches yesterday! 

The road was under chains or 4X4 restriction.

I know at least a couple of people on way up for some hike-to turns in June.

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: