Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lift Served Area #100  (Read 959 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2014, 11:42:26 PM »

The number of lift served areas that I have skied, boarded or both is someplace between 90 and 110.  It all depends on how one counts connected areas, or acquired areas, or closed areas.  In parts of Europe, large numbers of small areas with their own names may be interconnected and served by a choice of seperate or selective passes.  I have made my own decisions on whether to count pre-connecting-gondola Whistler/Blackcomb as one or two areas.  Or, another example, Cannon and Mittersill, each of which I rode when they were under seperate ownership but connected along the ridgeline between the two.  Watatic, which I telemarked after it was closed and out of business but with trails that were still maintained in the hopes of a sale to a new owner.  And so forth.

My own number maintained in my own head has been 99 since I spent 3 months at Taos in the first full season that snowboards were allowed there.

What should I do for #100.  Along with my Park City pass, I have three day passes for Deer Valley which is not on my list.  I am reluctant to go over and telemark D.V. and thus implicitly accept their ban on boards -- not a very nice way to get the big C.  Fernie in B.C. is on my to do list but I've just found one excuse after another to put off the logistics problems of that as a destination.  Snow Shoe West Virginia would be a kind of understated 100 that recognizes that really 100 isn't all that important -- I had a reservation for a few days around Xmas there once, but it was cancelled when they didn't have any snow by the second week in January.

Surf's already typing a resonse ... that is a small portion of the ridge line above Snowbasin near Ogden, Utah.  As of today, accompanied by my son and my oldest grandson, I have riden Snowbasin.  That's #100.

Nice area -- look up the stats: it's a 3000 drop with 2,800 acres and an open boundary into National Forest lands.  Nine lifts, three of them over 2,000 vertical feet.  Convenient parking and about hour from the nearest of the Central Wasatch crowds.  

My son and grandson are visiting and they joined me to make a special occassion out of the (really insignificant) event.

Snowbasin is Alpine in feel every way you look.  This shot is just a protion of the ridge line that wraps around the area.  The boundary line reaches the ridge at DeMoissy Peak at 9370' ASL and again at Allen Peak at 9465' ASL. Altogether there are seven named 9,000+ peaks looming above the area.

How to choose something special that all thee of us could handle was something of a problem until we identified this chute, Lone Tree, inbounds up on the side of DeMoisey:

It is reached by a fairly long, exposed, boot track traverse from the top of the Strawberry Express Gondola and descends about 500 vertical feet with a pretty constant 50 degree-ish angle.  

The snow at elevation was above recent freeze/thaw lines and the settled powder surface was quite a draw for three snowboarders. My son went first and waived two thumbs up from about half-way down.  I helped Eli into his bindings.  In this family, we admit to being nervous.  He did and he I talked about similar angles that he had done before and about how taking a run seriously can sharpen attention and lessen mistakes.  And, he stood up and dropped into the chute on a steady heel-side edge:

Actually, once in the gully there was nothing to do but go down one way or another.

It was a long 500 vert down to his Dad, but he did not hesitate and never waivered.

I followed and later we celbrated Eli's boldest run yet and my 100 at the Wasatch brewpub.  I carried my part of the toasing with a draft pint of Wasatch's Jalepeno Ale.

What a day!

Tommy T.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:50:31 PM by Tommy T » Logged

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »

I thought you went to snowbasin last year? No?  Anyways nice job on the milestone.  Have you visited Powder Mountain Yet?  There is a line there just skiers left of the Mens Downhill Run,  between it and the cat track, that  is one of the steepest angles I have ever put a turn into.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:30:45 PM »

I thought you went to snowbasin last year? No?  Anyways nice job on the milestone.  Have you visited Powder Mountain Yet?  There is a line there just skiers left of the Mens Downhill Run,  between it and the cat track, that  is one of the steepest angles I have ever put a turn into.

Linda and I went to Snow Basin as observers to the Dew Tour National finals.  The son by a prior husband of the common-law wife of my brother-in-law via my Linda was the foreman of the set-up crew for the lights and sound and press boxes and the half-pipe, slope style and big air features. Known as "Tarzan" by the crew, he arrainged VIP passes for us.  So I have been there but never skied or boarded until now.

We made PoMo last year and were it not for the distance, especially as compared to the central Wasatch mountains, we would use it more often.  Great views, outstanding Blue/Double Blue terrain with enough hard to stuff to keep it interesting.  That's to say nothing of the fact that it is up-side-down (parking near the summit, main day lodge on the summit with 360 degree views that reach far enough to show identifiable runs at the Park City areas, trails that run down first and then lifts that go back to your car unless there is a power outage and then they haul you back up in a wagon behind a snow tractor).   My senior day pass was about $35 -- after 80 a season pass is $25!

(There is a big hubbub over change of ownership and extensive development plans at PoMo.  I'm not close enough to the situation to understand the traditions and practices that are being challenged or threatened by the developments, but there are certainly people from the area who are very upset.)

Tommy T.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:53:50 PM by Tommy T » Logged

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: