Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Snowboarding Solitude and Park City '14/'15  (Read 2344 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 07:04:37 PM »

The professor of mountain meteorology at the U of U confirms that the government monitoring station at Alta has recorded that total snowfall for the official winter reporting period of November 2014 through April 2015 is currently sitting  at 276.8" of snowfall.  The previous low was 314.5" in 1976/77.

With nothing but a flurry or two possible through the end of the month, the record is in the bag. 

Wow!! In Wasatch terms, I've survived the lowest snowfall season since WWII.

(One of my college majors (I had 3) was sociology in which we spent a semester dealing with min-max theory.  Snow forecasting and vacation planning can be based on several strategies -- you can choose to try to minimize your maximum loss or try to maximize your minimum gain.  Of course there are other strategies such as maximizing average gain or minimizing average loss.)

My analysis of where we should finally make our winter camp considered a lot of factors: for example, given the choice would you pick the best year on record at Snowshoe, W.Virgina, or the worst year since WWII at Alta?

Tommy T.

Of course Alta doesn't allow snow boards, so I did the next best thing and got my pass at Solitude which almost adjoins Alta along the main backbone of the range, following the route of that Wasatch Interconnect, Alpine/Cross Country thing.

I guess that's going to be it for "Snowboarding Solitude and Park City '14/'15."

We've bit the bullet and decided to let Utah claim us.  I'll be playing a summer stock musical -- paid gig -- for most of July and plans are in place for getting my Merlin mountain bike out here. I'll probably take a week to fly to Texas in the Fall and return to SLC on my Ducati -- that might be worth a trip report.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 09:07:40 AM »

MAY 9th, 2015!!

Alta area, about 30 minutes from home!!

I suspect that this picture is of the son of the professor of mountain meterology at the U of U.

Several inches of new snow along the Wasatch Crest!

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: