Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Deer Valley buys Solitude Ski Area  (Read 355 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

Deer Valley has entered into a contract purchase the Solitude Area at the end of the 14/15 season.

My guess is that this is a pre-emptive action by DV to position itself better to compete with the expected Vail owned complex of Park City Ski Resort and Canyons Ski Area.  (I'm not sure and have heard different stories, but it is expected that Canyons will remain under Canadian ownership but will contract (or has contracted) with Vail for operations.)

On another front, partially spurred on by efforts to physically link Canyons with the Big Cottonwood Canyon, committees have been formed by official state and local governments (on the one hand) to plan for a unified "One Wasatch" concept with long range planning for transportation connections, linked trails and lifts and regional vacation housing and committees have been by wilderness defenders and back-country enthusiasts (on the other hand) to front a fight against further intrusive economic development of the Wasatch range.

I'm on both sides of this one !?!?

On the one hand, good inter-area transport (on the roads and on the lifts) would be great for me and my Salt Lake City vacation house, both in terms of my own use and in terms of increase in value of my property.

On the other hand, the Wasatch back-country is much, much to good to spoil with towers, motors and groomers.  (The most likely line of connection between Canyons and Solitude goes right down my favorite gully off the back side of the Park City ridge line, starting right at the very highest point of the Canyons Ski Area and ending at a convenient pick-up/pull-out -- destined to be a large parking lot-- on the BCC access road.  It would go through a federal wilderness designated zone -- the Utah state legislature has asked Congress to make an exception from the national wilderness standards to allow the lift system!)

(Watching all this is almost as much fun for me as is the snowboarding!!  I was a government major in college and as a lawyer I represented units of government ranging from local sewerage districts to the U.S. Treasury and consulted with English and Scottish financial firms about how the national education authority in the United Kingdom could use the government's borrowing power to fund a PM declared initiative to greatly increase the number of students to whom a public college education would be available, without having to issue government general obligation bonds.)   

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: