Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A slow start to the snow season in the West  (Read 647 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2014, 02:12:23 PM »

That picture is a current view of Snoqualmie, usually a top performer in the Pacific NorthWest. 

Mt. Baker reports as follows: 10 inches of rain, 104 mph winds, and "on the positive side...we haven't lost any ski runs or had any damage any where in the area."

The Wasatch are doing passable well for mid-December (I never recommend the Wasatch for a Xmas/New Years vacation planned and booked in advance -- The great and reliable Wasatch snow is not really reliable until mid-January and is a 100% sure thing only starting sometime in February.)  Park City is reporting a 36" base and is running 6 of 15 lifts today.  Alta is at 32" and all lifts except Albion are running.

It's still about 10 days before I expect to arrive in Salt Lake City and, first things first, we need to buy a mattress for our master bedroom.   Storms are beginning to realign out on the West Coast and near-Pacific regions, an I've got 6 months for things to turn around weather-wise. 

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 11:00:44 AM »

Taos, which I usually recommend saving until March because of uncertainty about its snowfall, is right up there with the Wasatch at a 36" base.  (On the other hand, it is showing only 19 trails and areas open out of about 125 trails and areas on the recently expanded map.).

When it is good at Taos, it is very good for the adventuresome, who have lots of room to hunt for their own lines, across a wide ability spectrum.  I loved the winter that we spent there.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: