Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Unusual Weather Pattern  (Read 690 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2015, 01:26:39 PM »

So.....!!

Through the week-end the large scale weather pattern has sort of done a mirror image thing --  Arctic air flowing directly into New England and the East Coast while a big blocking front in the South-west is channeling Caribbean rain into the Inter-mountain West.

This is how looks on the map:

And this is how it looks on the Park City weather forecast:

Sunny, with a high near 50. South wind around 16 mph.

That's for today but it's basically the same through the week with nighttime lows in the upper 30's.

In the meantime:

I've learned how to get into the cliff and chute band at the upper end of Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude.  That opens the possibility of riding six or seven double black drops into the canyon bottom.

Trouble is, round trips take a bunch of traversing and several lift connections. 

I shall haul my small camera up there and see what I can get in terms of image documentation.

Tommy T.

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »

So, Yesterday, January 26, Alta Ski Area scored an all-time high temperature record for the date:

59 degrees F.

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »

So, Yesterday, January 26, Alta Ski Area scored an all-time high temperature record for the date:

59 degrees F.

Tommy T.
My sisters have been complaining a lot about conditions out there lately.  This pic is from 4 days ago and We are getting dumped on today with another foot of low moisture Utah style snow.

Its nice to have bragging rights every once in a while.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:24:59 PM »

Hey !!   Nice to hear from you.

Yeah, the Wasatch is pretty far below averages for snow fall.

But, that needs to be kept in context.  Park City got one (1) inch last night.  That gave them an even 100 inches on the season.

Numbers of people on the hill seem to be way down.  From what I hear in the lodges, winter vacationers without prior commitments to the Wasatch are heading mostly for the Colorado high country.  That leaves me with short lift lines and lots of untracked off-piste

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 01:44:20 PM »

Depending on what you measure and how you measure it, Mt. Mansfield in Vermont exceeded Alta in depth of snow pack and Salt Lake City is breaking temperature records.

Still, the skiing and boarding are great.  And, the crowds are down.

[[[  And:  Why is Salt Lake City better than, oh, say, Ketchum, Idaho?  Well, I've just signed on for a paid gig playing trumpet in the pit orchestra for a 16 performance run of Sondheim's "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum." (I play my horns every day.  I brought three horns out to SLC this year.  I started trumpet at age 10 and I've never taken a break from the instrument.  I carried an eBay cornet strapped to my canoe on my 60 day trip on the Yukon River.  I played at my sister's wedding, my daughter's wedding and my father's funeral.  In Texas, I play with three community bands -- out here I play principal trumpet with a community symphony and in the pit for a community theatre group.  This is the biggest pro gig I've ever done!)  ]]]

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 08:09:30 PM »

And now a word from the pros who have been doing this for several seasons:

Utah Ski Weather
Resort Forecasts

Pattern Change?

February 17, 2015     Peter Veals:

Although not totally certain yet, things are looking better and better for us to FINALLY break out of this dry pattern that has been plaguing us for the past month. Assuming the GFS and ECMWF ensemble members are capturing the full range of possible conditions (sometimes not a safe assumption), we will see a shift to a much cooler and stormier pattern beginning with a storm this weekend. I am not completely sold yet, but I like what I see from the models so far.

Wednesday/Thursday: we will be warm (once again) through Thursday, with sunny skies and light-moderate winds prevailing.

Weekend: a shortwave trough will slide in from the NW beginning late Friday, bringing clouds, a cooldown, and some snowfall to the mountains. As for snowfall amounts, I'm not expecting a dump or anything, but we'll see how the models trend over the next few runs. The storm may linger over us through Sunday or even Monday, so it would at least have time on its side to drop some snow.

Next Week: forecasting this far out is often a bit of a stretch, but I know what the people want! So I will say that after a brief warmup/dry out early week, there is a shot at another storm late week. Woo! Keep those fingers crossed.

I'm up to my neck in music here in Salt Lake, and it doesn't ruin my winter if my high spots this season are mostly behind behind the mouthpiece on a trumpet and not on top of board.  I do hope that we have big turn around some time before the end of April.

Tommy T.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:17:39 PM by Tommy T » Logged

-- Pablo Picasso
surf88
Backcountry Elite**
Backcountry Guide

climb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »

Good to hear its not all bad news from the Wasatch.  My boss is at Breck this whole week with his kids, I'm hoping he got some good conditions.

More Snow Please?

My Blog:
http://www.outdoortripreports.com/
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »

It's official.  Least February snow at Alta Guard in history.

The whole winter for the entire area (December through February in the Salt Lake City region) has been a record shaker, viz. :

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UWRaCVh7XKo/VPMp3jSv3yI/AAAAAAAAhhI/tXPH-D8D4t8/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-03-01%2Bat%2B8.01.12%2BAM.png

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: