Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RECORD LOW SNOW FOR ALTA ???  (Read 661 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2015, 06:29:47 PM »

The mountain weather guru at the U of U notes that records at the Utah Avalanche Center suggest that the all-time minimum February snowfall at Alta Guard is 34 inches.  The ski area's own report of snowfall history for the month to date is 25 inches.  Unofficial snowfall records for the Alta Guard site this year suggests they've had 19 inches so far this month.  Snow forecasts for the next 4 days are not all that great.  

WHAT THE HECK!!! LET''S GO FOR IT!

If we can't have snow, we might as well have a record.

Tommy T.

By the way, got to keep this stuff in context.   Riding lift-served, off-piste most of the day at Solitude was really quite fine.  It's legal to pass back in forth across the Solitude/Brighton line.  The top 2/3rds of that line is somewhere up on a steep, wooded ridge with deep-cut gullies, many of which rarely skied or ridden and connecting trails around the lower slopes on both sides sort of define the limits of how far down you can go without having to walk back in the parking lots.  I put in about 11,000' of vert on that ridge today -- probably 2/3rds of my turns were on virgin snow:

(That's actually a color photo -- it's just such high contrast that almost everything looks black and white.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:10:53 PM by Tommy T » Logged

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 02:54:04 PM »

Mid-March and the U of U gurus are giving Alta Ski Area a 60% chance of breaking its all-time record for least amount of snow in a season.

Park City is reporting 137" to date as against an average annual snowfall of 360".  Park City has announced its closing date as April 19th.

In the meantime, things are still pretty good under the board (boards in the case of my 12 year old grandson) on 56 degree steep, Challenger, at Solitude on March 15th:

Generally speaking, the doom-saying commentators need to get out of the news room a little more often:

The same date, me contemplating a drop into Honeycomb Canyon.

Every year can't break the snow fall records, but as long as there is snow...... well, look for me on my board.

Tommy T.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:59:43 PM by Tommy T » Logged

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 08:52:21 PM »

And of course there is always the April snow showers in the City to keep the spirit of winter alive in the Spring:

April 9, 2015.

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: