Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Winter is Over/Snow is Gone  (Read 692 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2015, 08:35:40 PM »

Well, it is the last day of May and the snow is gone.

At least as viewed from our house.

Those two little, pale spots at the ends of the pointers were the only snow that we could see this morning.

By 5pm, when I looked again, they were gone.  

Guess I'll take my board to the basement, wax it up for summer protection and close the books on the winter of 14/15.

I don't know if there will much to report next year. . . .  Well, there will be the interconnect between Park City and Canyons and a promise for new lifts and trails at Canyons to take advantage of the joint system.  Deer Valley has purchased Solitude and the ink on that deal is still wet enough that unimportant detail, like price and category of season tickets, is still not set.

I did not keep a rigorous count for days and runs this year (guess I'm getting old and the count is getting boring) but I was about 50/50 between Solitude and Park City.  Solitude automatically kept track of every ride on their lift system -- total at the two areas was around 80 days.  (From the on-line data that Solitude makes available to me, I could calculate my vertical but it would far from any of my records and is just not worth the trouble.

My wife's titanium knees (one acquired in January and one in April) are in good enough training that we got in a hike up on the trail that runs along  Western front of the Wasatch roughly along the old beach of Lake Bonneville.  Great Salt Lake is the remnant of Bonneville -- the present lake sits at about 4200 feet ASL; our house is just over 4500.  Linda's been taking walks up to 20 minutes on the sidewalks.  We drove up to the trail head in Emigration Canyon (right at 5000 feet) and slowly walked in and up a couple of miles just topping out at about 5250.  Then we turned around and walked back down.  Linda's tough and her knees are working well.  She's talking about the next hike being up in the City Creek Canyon area.

(Funny coincidence:  My daughter-in-law has arranged for shipping of my mountain bike, which rode a lot of New England but is not being fairly tested in Texas.  It'll be here in a few days.  It has a titanium frame.)

I figure it's a 10-10 on this end unless unless something more exciting than I expect pops up on a bike trail some where.

Tommy T.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 10:08:34 PM by Tommy T » Logged

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »

There is still "some" snow in the high elevations of the Wasatch, especially on North facing sides.  This is Alta on June 2:

Since Alta and I are not the best of friends, that's the way I like to think of it  Wink !

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »

And this represents the moment of transition:

"Tommy T. gets his hands dirty."

Funny thing about this project relates to the ripped open groceries sack that I used to catch the drips from the chain lube.    The sack came from the Harmons supermarket chain.  As I picked it up I read its printed message:

"HARMONS

Commitment to our Environment:

Harmons is committed to reducing
our environmental impact through
responsible business practices and
working to create a more sustainable
future."

And then several "Recycler of the year" type awards are cited.

I'll bet that they did not expect that I would extend their recycling one more step in this particular manner.

Tommy T.

-- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: