Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: El Nino is here --2015  (Read 314 times)
Tommy T
Backcountry Guide

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2015, 01:02:54 PM »

The majority consensus at the National Weather Service is that El Nino has arrived and will effect the 15-16 snow season in the West.  A minority opinion believes that this is a powerful and long lasting El Nino that will persist into the 16-17 snow season.

It's way too far out chronologically speaking and a bit too early meteorologically speaking, but the Wasatch and New England precipitation patterns are not greatly affected by the El Nino/La Nina oscillation.  The North West tends to increase its precipitation but also its temperatures so snow results there tend to depend on altitude.  

Lots of moisture in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas but not much snow under any circumstances.  If you've been thinking that it is time to go to Taos (and if you haven't -- you should -- see my trip reports from a few years ago), start watching the long range forecasts around the end of August -- Around February, it could be a really good season down there.

It's just something to think about while you're rigging your sails in Narraganset Bay.

Me?  I'm lubing my mountain bike chain as soon as I sign off.

Tommy T.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 12:04:17 PM by Tommy T » Logged

Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.
                                                                             -- Pablo Picasso
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: